Spin Off on TSA Screening Procedures

I thought this was an interesting perspective.

TSA Agents Absolutely Hate New Pat Downs, Find Them Disgusting And Morale Breaking

"It is not comfortable to come to work knowing full well that my hands will be feeling another man’s private parts, their butt, their inner thigh. Even worse is having to try and feel inside the flab rolls of obese passengers and we seem to get a lot of obese passengers!"

So do you think the combination of travelers being upset AND TSA agents not enjoying having to perform the enhanced pat downs, will result in ending this practice all together?!  Either TSA agents will quit or they'll start doing "ineffective" searches to avoid touching passengers they are personally repulsed by?!

airplane

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 8:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• that was my take the first time i heard of the pat-downs...it will get mundane quickly, and become useless. i mean, come on, the likelihood that a reallygoodlooking Zoolander comes through to actually make the TSA agent hot and bothered enough to enjoy their job....i don't see it happening. remember, the majority of our country is overweight..who wants to get their fingers in that all day, everyday?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Aren't the TSA union? Why don't they just complain to their union reps and get everything solved lickety-split-quick! I mean...isn't that why the unions exist? to protect the rights of the workers?

I'm just sayin :-P
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This is the KEY problem with everything the DHS is attempting to do--going after what HAS already happened, instead of examining every possible WEAK area where terrorists might consider striking in the future!

The US Government...solving yesterdays problems today!

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I can dig that.

DH and i were joking that if he had to do a pat down he'd keep farting the whole time...but really...smelly, greasy people...it's gross and weird for them too.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't understand why airlines aren't allowed to handle their own security begin with. Government interference in business like this bothers me. It should be my right as a consumer to decide what level of security I am willing to deal with, and pay accordingly. Vote with your wallet, right?

Anyway - here's the problem. There really aren't a lot of other jobs to be had. People have kids to support, and many who take these sort of entry level jobs just don't have the luxury of up and quitting when they don't like what they have to do.
    No, the TSA is not unionized.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Interesting..I seriously hope these outlandish security measures end..and more effective and REASONABLE measures replace them..and yes.. preferbly by private business.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I didn't even think about the screeners having to lift up an obese persons fat folds. I would demand a raise. Also those who don't bathe would be gross to check. The scans and pat downs are not keeping anyone safe just making those who fly and those who screen uncomfortable while the terrorists laugh about how they have changed America.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I can see that happening. Personally I think that the way they're now doing things can't last. The complaints aren't going away, and at some point the TSA will spend more time with legal complaints than they will protecting anyone. I think they should instead have chemical sniffing dogs, along with the metal detectors. A great bonus to the dogs is that they can't be accused of racial profiling.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My take on this..... Flying is NOT the only option for travel. If you don't like the way they are doing things, find another way to travel. They can pat me down alllllll they want to, if it means they can ensure the other passengers are not being put into harms way.

What the hell is it going to take for people to wake up!?!?! If (and I pray this NEVER happens) bombs start going off on airplanes and killing our loved ones THEN will people act?!?!

If you don't like doing the job, then simply don't!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010