When your child wakes up WAY too early..

..What do you do? My daughter is in the habit of waking up at 6 in the morning lately no matter what time she went to bed. Sometimes I will tell her "Hey sweety, it's still bed time so lets go back to bed okay?" Sometimes that approach works and other times she is just not having it lol She wants to get up, play, watch cartoons, have her chocolate milk and breakfast, ect. Just wondering what some of you ladies do? Of course kids change schedules alot when they are younger and I am not looking for a lecture on how I should just "accept" it lol Because I already do.. I am just curious how you other moms handle it when all the sudden your child is waking up 3 hours earlier than normal.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would get a clock for her room and show her the number of the hour you want her to get up. I don't know if three hours is realistic amount of time for her to be able to play alone quietly, so maybe split the difference and say 7:30, then move it back at a later date. Anyway, show her 7:30 on the clock and tell her she can get up and come out when the clock says 7:30. Have quiet books and toys for her to play with if she wakes earlier, but tell her that her time to come out is 7:30. This usually works well.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I send them quietly back to their rooms, I tell them to go back to sleep or they may play quietly on their beds. I do not give them access to cartoons, chocolate milk, breakfast, or even any additional toys ... they may take a selection of quiet toys, books, and stuffed animals and play on their beds until it is time to get up or they may go back to sleep.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I tell me DD that we don't get up before 7 and I than set the alarm then I tell her when it goes off we can get up and I send her back to bed. She knows she can play quietly in her bed room until I get up. With the new puppy though everyone wakes up and once the puppy is awake she has to go out so she doesn't potty on the floor and we are up at 5:30 during the week so now I just pray for 7 lol.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 9:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Give her a low sugar, low protein, high carb breakfast. In 20 minutes, she should be out cold again.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I tell them it's too early, go back to bed or either play quietly in their room with the door closed.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I take her to bed with me and she usually goes back to sleep. But now it is getting light earlier. Did the time change have something to do with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My child is one so he could really care less what I have to say about going back to sleep. I agree with the paly quietly in her room.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• we had to start setting boundaries and put a clock in their room. Told them they could not some downstairs until 8:00. There has to be a break and some time to just sit a read a book and have a cup of coffee in peace at some point.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Whenever my daughter gets up too early I bring her into my room and have her lay down with me. She and her sissy share a room so letting her play in there would be disastrous since she'd wake up the 1year old! lol. I like it though, its a little bit of mommy-daughter cuddling time that we don't normally get. Plus, she thinks sleeping in the huge bed is just so cool :P (my daughter is also 3)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Need more info...how old is she?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010