how do YOU keep a food journal?

My best friend is getting married in a year and I am the maid of honor.

I decided to keep a food journal in order to better see what I'm stuffing my face with and change my eating habits to much healthier ones. I was 135 when I got pregnant and I have been 170ish ever since I gave birth to my daughter (sep. '09). I not only want to lose weight for this wedding (which is why I'm setting the goal of a year to lose this weight) but I feel so sluggish and unhealthy and even slightly depressed since I gained all this weight and I want to do something that will have a positive impact on my life.

Anyway, the plan is to put my goals in the front of the book (eating healthy, 30 minutes of exercise a day, etc.) and then every page writing down what I ate that day and it's total calorie amount
my goal is no more than 1800 calories a day but the first two weeks I'm going to eat like I normally do to assess the changes I need to make.

Does this sound about right?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 9:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I dont. I just watch what I eat and exercise regularly
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you have it completely under control and don't really need our help at all. You go girl!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I use calorie count.com
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• over the past few months i have gone from 180 to 150lbs. and truthfully all i have done is incorprate more veggies, eliminated all sodas (drink water, tea, koolaid, milk etc.) and stopped going out to eat esp. fast food except for once or twice a month which is a nice set down restarant. i was a size 12 now im in size 8!
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If I wewre you I would just be more active and sneak the weight off
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• sounds good but i dont keep one
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I use bodybugg.com
    One suggestion I have for you is to calculate your BMR first to find out how many you should be eating daily.
    Come check out the Healthy Weight Loss group for tips and encouragement! I've lost 57 lbs and 46" since December by counting calories and working out 6 days per week. I have gone from 167 lbs to 110...and a size 12 to a size 0 in juniors. Let me know if I can help you.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 6:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have just begun eating clean. It's not a diet but it is truly about changing your life style. You won't need to count calories. Just eat lean protein and a complex carb at each meal, eat a small meal every 3 hours or so, and get regular exercise. I know it probably sounds like the same thing youve heard other place, but I honestly believe this is the best advice out there. Check out eatcleandiet.com or Tosca Reno's books. She has a few out there. I just got "eat clean diet recharged" and I learn something new everytime I open it up.
    Hope this helps!
    audrinasmomma

Answer by audrinasmomma at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sounds good to me
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2011