Sharp, negative evaluations.

I got the first report card for my daughter at her first grade. The teacher was almost rude by describing my daughter. She had ABSOLUTELY nothing positive to say. Her English and some math were graded as basic (rather than proficient or advanced), none of her achievement were graded as advanced. I spoke with several parents and everyone was describing the similar experience- the teacher was almost openly rude, downgraded a lot the kids. Parents went to complain but the director stated that if we do not like the school we may leave.

Beyond the stress it caused, I feel that my child, along with several other people is profiled to lower track based on her certain categories (income bracket, renter status, english as a second language).

After all though I found that the benchmark tests for the first quater is identical for most of the children (1 mistake in reading and 5 mistake in math). I feel that this is unlikely that several children has similar results in the benchmark test.

The school overall has the best test score possible in whole district, so I feel that complaint to the district as other parents suggest wil not help.

I don't know what to do and feel helpless.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you feel that the teacher is not being adequate or fair, you have the option like they told you to go somewhere else. Some teachers have a higher standard for kids than others, did anyone get a good report? or was it everyone in the class.

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• How does the school know your income and renter status? It sounds like this may be the teacher's personality more than a personal judgment about you. I wouldn't like it either, I think that children in the early grades especially, need a warmer more nurturing teacher. See if you can talk to some parents whose children are older but had the same teacher to see what their experience was and their overall satisfaction by the end of the year. Sometimes the tough teachers are good ones. Also, how does your daughter feel about her teacher? Does she like her? Is she happy in the classroom?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, I don't know about everyone in class, but a good chunk of parents felt that way (all university or professional parents). I seems like non-renters, pure Americans got slightly better results and only Chinese boy who transferred from other school with a very good overall score from other school were less upset.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Also, if you keep your daughter in the class, may I suggest that at the next and all subsequent evaluations, you ask the teacher "Can you tell me some positive things about my daughter?" Maybe she'll get the idea.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• if she isnt advanced, she just isnt! I mean I was lucky that my 2 so far are advanced, but my son was nt in his first year of indergarten, i chose to have him do it again! ( Military DODAEA cannot flunk your child) But he just needed more time, not he is top of the class!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The school asked us to fill out extensive amount of forms and asked proof of residency. My girl says that she does not know what they do in class, very often it indeed seems that they doing nothing. She says that the teacher has bad mood. She also says that the teacher does not read her (and only her) tests in math.The teacher confirmed that she does not do it for her without explanation why. The teacher often forgets to assign my daughter to centers, never asks her when she raised her hand, never prize anyone. When I enter the class I see that there is no learning materials at the kid's sight, all placed on my sight level.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This sounds to me that her math skills are basic, not proficient - which means they need some work. This is not "sharp" or "negative", this is objectively evaluated, a skills rating.
    The same with her other skills evaluations - if she's not rated as advanced, she's not advanced.
    And who's to say that the child who transfered to another school and got higher ratings was subjected to fair and objective testing? Perhaps they merely have very low expectations of children at that school ...
    As for you "feel" that your child might be being profiled according to predictors of performance instead of her actual performance, you didn't have anything other than your feelings to back that up with.
    "This school has the best test scores in the district" - have you considered that this is so because the expect more from the children?
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You seem overly aware of categories for people. How can she tell you to go to a different school if proof of residency is required for attendance. If it is a public school, there are people above the director at that school and if the problem is justified you can go there.
    The school board. Beware they usually close ranks. You will do better if you can get together a group of parents with the same concerns.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Too many parents tend to personalize report cards and evaluations. There is no "teacher incentive" for telling a parent that their child isn't "advanced". The goal of an evaluation is to help the children. An evaluation of this nature isn't "positive" or "negative" - it's a skills measurement, used to identify what needs to be improved.
    To say "it's because we are renters" or whatever is to look for excuses. There is no need to look for excuses. This is not about categories of people, or anything else. This is about no one but your child and her performance. It's not personal, it's not an attack, it's an assessment of how she is - and is not - progressing academically.
    Evaluations are of no value when teachers merely tell parents what they want to hear.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• So it's a negative evaluation and based on income status and nationality because your daughter is not scoring as "advanced"? Have you considered that maybe she's NOT advanced? And maybe her math skills are lacking and are only very basic - NOT proficient.

Sounds to me like you're accepting the child's excuse "the teacher has bad mood" instead of teaching the child that she is responsible for her own performance and that she needs to work hard to improve.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010