For you Mom that are or have gone through Empty nest Syndrome?

I have 4 children my babys almost 16.So I still have one home.I will probably never let him go j/k but seriously I used to be so busy with them,it happened so fast.I don't even have to get up with son anymore for school,he likes to fix his own breakfast,do his own laundry which I know is great but I feel so lost now depressed all the time.I'm looking for an outside job and haven't been called by anyone yet.How does one go from extremely busy to almost a halt on life.Bottom line is I don't know what to do in my life now,I made my kids and being home my life.I could cry over anything now where before I never did.Hope I'm making sense.Other than getting a job,I am so sad,feel scared even.Like do I even know who I am anymore.If u have went through this how did u cope and move on to I guess called the 2nd half of ur life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is menopause happening also? Volunteer-it will give you such purpose. Do you have any grandchildren?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I hear you, I have three grown adults, of those only one, my 23 year old is home with us after recently graduating. He came back from school a totally new young man, he does not let me do his laundry, he cleans after himself and I can rarely feed him either, so it has been weird, since I was use to doing this. What I have done is find stuff to keep me occupied, I volunteer, I take care of my 91 year old mom and my disabled brother, so I really do not have time in my hands to dwell. You will be ok mom, people don't usually know how to stop all the nurturing you were so used to doing, it is just a different phase, embrace it and you will learn to enjoy it! hugs to you!

Answer by older at 9:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm in your spot right now too....3 boys, youngest 19 at home and in college. I've been a sahm, and haven't been able to find a job. I feel lost as well, my identity is in question.

On the other hand, I suddenly feel this rush of freedom and excitement about all of the things I've been putting on hold while I raised my kids. My husband and I suddenly find ourselves alone in the house alot....something that just didn't happen until a few weeks ago. I have time to exercise and take care of myself, the house is cleaner, and I'm finally writing the book I wanted to write. I also have some time.....and a room for sewing.

I still miss when my kids were little, and find myself crying at the loss of that time of my life, but I have so much to look forward to still, and I guess I'd say I"m re-inventing my life.

What did you always want to do but put on hold? What things did you not have time for before? Feel free to friend me. GL
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I hear you. I have cried so much since they left home. I am having such a difficult time finding out who the heck I am. Try www.care.com for jobs. I found my child care jobs there, but there are other categories as well. Use the pulldown to see them all.. GL! hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't think I will ever have this lol. My son is 24 and gone, and I haaaate it! But kids grow up and leave. My girls are 19 and 16 and I think my DD will be moving out with her boyfriend soon...going to bawl! But that leaves my 16 yr old and my boys 5 and 4. I had them late in life. So I will be 60 when they are 20...I have a ways to go lol. By that time I should be more than ready lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010