Do you know your stuff when it comes to teeth?

Story: chipped tooth, go to the dentist, tooth is too far gone and faced with the decision to remove or have a $600.00 root canal.

Tooth: a canine. My last one. The other one was removed as a child.

I awake this morning and MORE of the tooth has chipped. I must have grinded in my sleep. Need to be taken care of stat this week and its HOLIDAY :(

125.00 to remove it and only have 4 teeth in the front or 600.00 to save it? (WITH INSURANCE)...I have thought about doing the 600.00 and making a payment plan, IF they will do one.

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 9:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• Wow you must have good insurance, it cost us $1300 for my husband's last fall and that was with insurance. I could have died when I got the bill. I believe most dentist offices let you do things in payments as long as you've been there a few times, but the dental school down the road also takes them from my dad so I don't know. I'd do what makes me more comfortable though, and if that's getting a partial, or saving it then I'd do it. It sounds like you have either bad genes or your babies robbed you of all your vitamins when your were pregnant. Being so young with these dental issues I'd probably ask about implants or something on those lines. Good luck.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 10:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd try to save the tooth. Are you going to an endodontist for the root canal? Most will do payment plans.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Save the tooth if at all possible. Unless you are in your 70s. Then I would let it go.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, I'd try to save the front tooth. Do you have a tooth in the other ones place? Your dentist can replace them, with implants or crowns. I think it's worth it. But I'm really weird about my teeth.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If you have insurance now, ask your dentist what can be done. I've always taken care of my teeth and they're still crappy, soft. I ended up getting veneers when I was 24. Of course, that was before I had my son. They cost me $1500, but I never regret it. And I make sure I go for my cleanings every 6 months now.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, it is what it is right now, right? I doubt it's necessary to have to get dentures. See what your options are before you make any decisions.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ps. I have a SECOND tooth chipped in the back. I have to get it done as well. Hopefully its not too late and can save it with just a filling.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I am in my late 20's and I have became accustomed to my other being gone. The person doing it will be my regular dentist.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No, I have several missing and I am just 26. I did not take very good care of my teeth when I was younger and I did not brush everyday. I also ate a lot of sweets and was paranoid of the dentist. I did not have much money to 'support' my teeth so, I have lost several over the years. Many are filled that I needed in order to chew properly. I have had oral surgery, right after I was married.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Thats what I am doing: getting my yearly cleanings now so, I know the problem areas. I went for mine 3 months ago and my husband was informed of FIVE cavities I got in a year...Like you, soft teeth but, I also have sensitive ones. Much of my upper teeth are wearing 'thin.' I hate flossing so, its my own fault for the cavitites. My husband said it was expensive to get them all done and to bring it up when I had "problems" with them. So, now I have TWO chipped teeth and 3 cavities. Close to 1k in work instead of 250.00.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2010