A different topic...

Why is it we (as a society) try to blame adult sexual assault victims/survivors for what happened to them instead of trying harder to hold the perpetrator accountable? Why do we (as a society) only feel sorry for child sexual assault victims/survivors but not the adults?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel sorry for anyone who has gone through it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Because a lot of them have the mentality of they ask for it! but I agree, it is sad.

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think society has grown leaps and bounds in that respect. When I was young, we were told never to go anywhere alone in a car with a boy (!!!!) that "something bad could happen."

Um, OK.

I do think that women need to use preventative measures as much as possible to keep themselves safe. Learn self defense, choose an apartment if possible not on the ground floor, NEVER get drunk to the point of pissing yourself, even if you are around people you trust. I'm not saying that if you don't follow my rules and something happens it's your fault, I'm just saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There are a lot of women who put themselves in these situations and alot of women who don't at all, but I still feel for them or anyone for that matter who has gone through it.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• lovinangels - The majority of rapes are perpetrated by someone the victim knows including friends. Does this mean that we should trust our friends and never be alone around them? I'm just really wanting to know your take on this not trying to be bitchy about it (I know I may come off like that and don't want that to happen right now).
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Plz dont include me in that "we", b/c I feel sorry for any sex abuse victim, regardless of age, sex, etc. I think the people who look at a young woman who is dressed in a certain way -as asking for it, are complete morons! Anyone who doesnt have control over their emotions are the ones who need help or jail (if they act on it).
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

I've had bad luck with guy friends...in the end, it's always turned out that they try to make a move...and then I'm down a friend, and sad. So, I guess I may have trust issues, but when it comes to male friends, I do things in a group. Just my rule of thumb. Safety in numbers.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I didn't know "WE" did.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

Older, I have to disagree with you. I don't think a lot of people have that mentality. I think that mentality is rather rare.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Why is it we (as a society) try to blame adult sexual assault victims/survivors for what happened to them instead of trying harder to hold the perpetrator accountable?

I don't know ... but this sure seems applicable to the TSA discussions.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010