i just got home from a business trip, and noticed blood in my daughters stool; what do I do?

I had her father watching her, which he doesn't usually do, and nothing seems out of whack with her. She has been sick with a cold & her stool also had a bit of mucus in it?

Mz.Face

Asked by Mz.Face at 10:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you are concerned take her to the doctor, but sometimes, if there is stress or forcing in the vowel movement vessels break and give blood.

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If she is not bruised or having any terrible symptoms, I would get on Web MD.com & look up possible causes for this. If she seems like she can wait to see the Dr. til tomorrow, then fine. If not, there's always the dreaded trip to the ER. Hope she gets better soon. The holidays are no fun when you're sick!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Has she been constipated? A large BM can cause what are called fissures, and a bit of blood may be seen in the toilet. I would take her to the doctor just to be safe.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Mine gets that some times and just cause constipated and hard to go. Try mialax which is what is what she is on. But it happens again I would take her to doctor just to make sure her colon is fine.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• And one other thing: usually blood looks black if it's actually in the stool, and not just from a fissure/ hemorrhoid at the anus. If it's really red and in the stool, it could have been caused by something she ate or drank. My son once ate some playdoh and had lovely pink poop and sometimes Kool Aid will do it too, I understand.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i would save the stool, they may ask for a sample, and take her to the dr , after you talk eto dad to see what she did and could have eaten.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• According to my pediatrician, if it is dark blood - emergency room, it is is light colored (pink or bright red) - use a stool softener (i.e. apple or prune juice will do) and make a doctor appointment if it continues for more than a day or two.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Is the blood old (brownish and dark) or new (bright red)? The darker it is, the further up the intestinal track it's from. If it's dark, take her to the doc right away. If it's a bright red, it's probably a fissue (little crack right around the anus) which often comes from being constipated or forcing a bowl movement.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• This happens to my daughter every now and again...she has a small fissure that causes it, but only when she has to strain a bit. As the others said, if it's bright red, that's more likely what it is and nothing to worry over. If it's black-ish, a trip to the Dr. is in order. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• the others gave good advice. Keep an eye on her
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010