Your opinions?

I'm not going to state my religion (if I have one at all) as I think it in no way changes the validity of this question.

It seems to me like whenever someone of another religion makes jokes about Christianity or makes a rude comment about it, people brush it off or laugh. Yet if someone who is Christian makes a comment or joke about another religion, they are suddenly considered close-minded, religiously intolerant, etc etc. Is it OK with Christianity because of it being so mainstream? Or is it a matter of majority vs. minority...being that it's "okay" for a minority religion to poke fun at the majority, yet not okay the other way around. Thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally do not think it should matter. I tell jokes about my religion, other religions, no religions etc... the same as I make jokes about Whites, Blacks, Mexicans etc... If I can't laugh at myself, then I shouldn't be allowed to laugh with others. I think that most people should get a life, have fun, and stop nit-picking each other. We are all people with a soul that one day, every single one of us will have to stand before God and give account for our lives.  There will be no such thing as Religion or color. 
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I think to each his own. If you wanna make jokes about whoevers religion don't bother me. I think people are too uptight these days. Don't worry about what other people make jokes about. If you don't like a joke thats being made leave the situation.
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian. I may try to brush jokes off, but they offend and sometimes hurt me. I do not make jokes about other religions.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I don't make jokes about other religions. I feel that it's in poor taste, regardless of the religion being made fun of. Then again I also don't like racial jokes for the same reason.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I haven't perceived things the way you have. I have seen lots of drama over anything being said about Christianity. I see it like this, if your going to joke about ANY religion at all be prepared to deal with the consequences.
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 12:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I think Christians brush it off soo easily because of their faith and knowing that they should judge not unless they be judged. Just because someone makes a jok about someting or says something rude, does not make it true. Words only hurt you if you let them hurt you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I make jokes about everything. I am not very religious, so to speak. I have my beliefs, but they are MY beliefs. I was raised Catholic and believed wholehearted everything I was told. I didn't get offended, because the jokes were just funny. My sister is blind, and we have the best blind jokes. My family is just like that, though. We don't get offended by much. And as Zachsmom said... if you can't laugh at yourself.....
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I AGREE WITH PEOPLE BEING TO UPTIGHT THESES DAYS. lIFE IS TOO SHORT LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE AND LEARN. IF IT AFFENDS ANYONE AT LEAST YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T JOKE THAT WAY WITH THAT PERSON, SO YOU KEEP IT MOVING.
    HMIC

Answer by HMIC at 2:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2008