How secure is your computer??

Or how secure do you think your computer is???

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 10:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Technology

• Mine is not secure at all - but I don't keep any info on it. It's a MacBook and it's just for fun and games. I've never had a virus. In fact, it will often deny downloads that aren't "Apple Approved".

DH's PC, however, is more secure than Fort Knox! It not only requires a series of Passwords to log on, it also has a fingerprint recognition system that is required for every website he uses (like banking or other sites he might make purchases from). Our Wireless connection is "hidden" (I guess that means if someone is searching for a connection in the area, ours will not show as an option) and he has several anti-virus programs that constantly scan for bugs.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 10:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I haven't been infected since I stopped running Windows, and I am out on the internet 'naked' every day.
    It's not that Mac's are immune, its that Mac viruses tend to result from user behavior, not easily exploitable security holes.
    What I find amusing is that we installed BootCamp and Windows 7 on a partition, and we got online in Windows ONCE, and got a virus.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It's not. My antivirus expired months ago. But really don't have to much of a need for one. And should I get something I have a computer tech in the basement...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• LOL... I have 3 computer techs at my disposal too... 3 friends that can come anytime and another that can talk me thru anything over the phone. Plus, I have learned how to take apart and put together my own computer.
    Anidawehiwahya

Comment by Anidawehiwahya (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• 5babybees - your macbook with no security is probably safer than DH's PC. Sophos just released a free home version of their Mac AV software, and found less than 4% of the reported flags were actually Mac specific viruses...most of which were DNS changing Trojans, hidden within pirated copies of Mac software downloaded from torrent sites.
    As long as your games are legit, you are safer than a PC user without the hassle of constant scans and updates.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm running symantec. Since SO is a computer network geek, I'm fairly certain that I'm safe. He is the network admin for the company we work for along with 3 other facilities.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2010