Migraines

How, when, and why do women get them?? especially more than men??
also, any home remedies??

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 10:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• Stay hydrated! That helps me a lot. In winter it's easy to forget to drink lots of water, but the dry indoor heat can dehydrate you if you forget to drink up.

Some red fruit were also a trigger for me - real cranberry juice (I can only drink 2 or 3 oz a day). Also, cured meats. But, you really have to do a food & migraine journal to see what YOUR triggers are.

Excedrine Migraine is the only med that works for me. (Most of the Rx meds did nothing. ) But with the caffeine, I can't take it in the evening.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• eat nothing with LAKE dyes in it
    red 40, yellow 5 blue 1 are the big ones
    i used to get every month before period, took lake dyes out, and i rarely get anymore

give it a try, read your food labels
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Mine are hormonal based. I get them just before my period when I'm all out of whack. From what I read that's pretty common. The only thing that works for me is ice, caffeine and ibuprofen.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Mine were hormonal. Birth Control make them worse, but my IUD seems to have helped.
    Home remedies..there really aren't any. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels in the brain, so that helps some.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I used to get them daily, doc never figured out why though. I was on prescription ibuprofen for months until they went away on their own...still beats me, I'll never understand lol
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Can't take aspirin, ibuprofen, Advil, etc, but will look into the dyes... I know about the regular cheeses, cocoa, pickled, etc foods. I am post hyst, so not hormones as I take bio identical hormones and am watched closely.
    Anidawehiwahya

Comment by Anidawehiwahya (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• TY for the input... I take all these into considerations and try them all... It means alot to me
    Anidawehiwahya

Comment by Anidawehiwahya (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2010