how long should i let my kid sit in the plastic panties?

She pees in the plastic panties and i need to know how long to let her sit. like 5 minutes? She refuses to let us know when she has to pee. We ask her every half hour if she needs to pee and we sit her on the potty every hour but it seems like everytime she gets off the potty she pees 10 minutes later. how else can i get her to want to pee in the potty.

sep_10_07

Asked by sep_10_07 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would think it would be the same as with diapers...they need to changed when soiled. Using it as a punishment is just wrong IMHO, bordering on neglect.

I'm really confused though, you state that your child is a She but your profile says you have a boy...
    Anonymous

• how long would you like to sit in plastic panties? Maybe she just isn't ready yet. You failed to mention her age. Please don't leave that poor baby sitting in wet plastic panties; that's just WRONG!
    Anonymous

• We never used the plastic panties.. My daughter wouldn't poop her pants.. But the peeing in the potty was tuff... I would just put pull ups on her and she would still pee..So then I took them off and just didn't let her wear them any more.. and she didn't like peeing down her leg or on her dora and princess panties. So I would recommend pull ups and see how that works or Big girl undies...But I wouldn't let her sit in it...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 4:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• no i was asking this for my brother..and im not saying for hours i was told by other mothers on here to let them sit in it. Im just wondering on their advice how long they were talking to let her sit. And i understand to let them go when theyre ready and blah blah blah but i want to help her understand that we go on the potty theres nothing wrong with that. Instead of teaching them to pee themselves in a diaper y cant we teach her to go in a potty just as easy. The day care she is soon to be attending will not take her if she is not potty trained
    sep_10_07

Answer by sep_10_07 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• By let them sit, I think they mean not to rush to change her, but not to actually let her sit. When I was training my son, I didn't let him sit. When he peed, I'd say come on, let's go change them. His "sitting" in them was waiting while I got fresh ones, wipes to wipe him and went into the bathroom, put everything down. The point is not supposed to be punishment, but to get them to understand the concept of "when I pee in my pants, it's an icky feeling; when I pee in the potty, it's not". They get that idea from that brief period from when they tell you//show you they peed, and you change them. But as others said, without knowing her age, it's hard to know and she might not be ready yet.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• thank u that was much better explained...im glad somebody can understand it
    sep_10_07

Answer by sep_10_07 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm confused. Your profile says you have a 13 month old boy (I looked since I wanted to know how old this little girl is).
    In general, I'd say change her. The plastic pants can quickly cause diaper rashes of the WORST kind. If she's not interested in using the potty, then she's not ready and no amount of pushing or punishment from you will change that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• every time you go have her go.....even if you dont have to go if she sees you sitting on the potty it will help her understand more. Explain to her that wet is icky and dry is good. You dont want to say wet is bad because she will think that she is in trouble. Letting her sit for a minute or two if fine because it lets her feel that she is wet. Maybe a better option for her would be pull ups that have a cool sensation when the child is wet.......or even white cloud pull ups that have disappearing shapes when they get wet...........good luck!.......just encourage her and it will come in time........also, take her in every half hour, not hour........this will also help her remember to go.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• give potty trainning a break, she's not ready yet
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We used the reward system with my daughter and it worked great. She was fully potty trained in 3 days. I also used the plastic panties but I put them overtop training panties. I never used them on bare skin. I as well never let her sit in it. I would explain to her what she did wrong and then have her get dry ones and I would clean her up and change her. Hope this helps!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2008