Puerto Rican Religious Jewelry???

On my Puerto Rican side, I know in my family babies were always given a lot of gold jewelry to wear for protection or as blessings. Does anyone have any info on that or know where I can find some info on those tradtions? I remember that there were necklaces with an eye charm on them & one or more saints, not sure what else. I know they were based on a combination of Catholic & other spiritual beliefs. I was never given any of this jewelry because my parents didn't believe in them, so I'm not sure on much based on experience.

Any help is appreciated!

Oh, & don't be a smart ass & tell me to ask my mom!!! If that were a realsitic option, I would.

BubbaLuva

Asked by BubbaLuva at 10:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only religious baby bracelets I know of are at the Catholic Company.  It may not be what you are looking for, though, cuz they don't have pics of saints, only crucifix's and miraculous medals.

Is it called an Azabache Bracelet?  I found on topuertorico.org "Having newborn babies wear an azabache (a gold bracelet or necklace with a black or red coral charm in the form of a fist), is believed to protect them from the evil eye.." (At the very bottom of the page.)  I have seen babies IRL, usually of Hispanic decent, I don't know if Puerto Rican, wear braclets.  I've thought it was part of their culture, but I don't know if it was part of their religion, like the Azabache Bracelet, or the bracelet you describe, is.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Have you tried Google or local shops that carry religious jewelry?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:11 AM on Nov. 22, 2010