• In the Spotlight:

How old......

How old is too old to wipe my child's butt after she poops?

jarai6868

Asked by jarai6868 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 16

Sorry, couldn't resist... lol... I think that it probably depends on the child. Just work on that skill with your kiddo, and eventually she'll be good to go on her own.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• 3-4, depending on how long they've been PT
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son will be 4 in February and we still wipe his butt. I don't think it's at all a big deal, later on they will develop the skill to do it themselves without a mess, but until then at least you have the peace of mind that you won't find "streaks" in their underpants if you do it :)
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have let my 2 year old wipe her own for a while now (she has been potty training since 11 months)........she was fully potty trained long ago.........but she knows how and we usually have and "inspection" before the pants get pulled up...........never have a problem though.......it just depends on the kid..........my neighbors still wipe their 5 1/2 year olds but
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My 4 year old has been doing it for quite some time now. It depends on their own coordination and abilities. I know, however, that if my son doesn't get himself clean he calls us in...he has SPD and feels anything still there...very sensitive.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It depends on how long she has been potty trained? If it is fairly new then you will unfortunitly be doing this for awhile (just because they do such a bad job in the beginning). I bought the Kando whipes and put them next to the potty. I started using them because they are not so rough, the box is colorful, and they small great! My step-child eventually wanted to do it and be independent. I still every so see a few marks in his underwear so I still try and check him every one in awhile. With girls they take it a little more personal when they mess there big girls underwear with marks. This will give them incentive to wipe better in the end. Make sur ena dshow her if this happens...
    superchik

Answer by superchik at 6:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My daughter is 4 and she gets the honors of wiping. However, after she is finished I make sure she is all cleaned up before getting dressed. Usually it isn't perfect, but the important thing is that she is doing part of it on her own.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• From the time that they were potty trained I never followed them into the bathroom, and I never checked them after that. So I would say 2.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think around 3 I stopped doing that for the kids. I would go to the potty with them, and watch and make sure they did a good job and knew what to do, but I let them do their own wiping. I even kept baby wipes on the back of the toilet for those not so easy to clean up situations.

I had a friend that had a 4 1/2 year old and she was still wiping his bottom for him. I had to point out to her that he was starting kindergarten in 7 months and there would be no one there to wipe his bottom for him.
    Anonymous