'If your going to vollunteer to help then you better stay the whole time'

I wok in a kennel. I have a higher position so I don't have to work every holiday. I supervise 1-2 a year. Thanksgiving is not my Holiday this year. I told the kennel works I would come help them for a little while on Thanksgiving afternoon so they could get out of there quicker but I could only stay for about 45 min. It typically takes 1.5 hours with only 4 of them. One of the girls got mad and said if I was going to volunteer to help I needed to stay the whole time and not bail on them.' Should I just do what I said I would or just not come at all after then comment. This was never an obligation so I would be in no trouble if I chose not to help after all,it was just me wanting to be nice...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you should do what you said, it really doesn't matter what she said but fo rthe other worker you did say you were going ot be there. Just stay the 45min then leave.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If it is not you year and you are offering to help then stay as long and you can or want and tell her that it is not your year!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You are trying to be helpful! And really I think anything you offer they should be grateful for!

I also wonder if there is another reason why she snapped at you. Maybe she wishes she has Thanksgiving off?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd give them the choose. Tell them that you can either help for 45 minutes or you can not help at all it's there choice. And then sit that girl down for a talk on respecting her supervisor. And maybe find out if she was just having a bad day or something.
    I think it's awesome that you're willing to take time away from your family to help.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010