PETFINDER.com.......

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that you pay so much for a shelter baby! I was looking on here for a friend and was amazed that they are as high as 350.00 adoption fee! No wonder there are so many homeless animals. Ppl can get a purebreed for that amount! I think it is wrong in most cases for it to be that high. I adopted mine one was a stray and the other was dumped so we got lucky but WOW!!!

Korysmom96

Asked by Korysmom96 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pets

• It bugs me, as well. I have been planning to volunteer at our local spca because I think its unfair for their to be animals in the world who aren't loved. My best friend growing up was my lab/newfie mix. He was the sweetest most protective friend. And I remember paying $55 for him and his first shots. My friend just went to the spca for a puppy. She got a little mutt with more problems for $350 plus she was questioned about her lifestyle and told she works too much and would need to get a sitter for while she was at work for the puppy. I was surprised they didn't ask for character references and her pedigree with all the other questions she had to answer - all because she wanted to give a puppy some love and a home.
    questioningcleo

Answer by questioningcleo at 11:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Why oh why do people think that pets should be a right. They are a privilege and they people should be screened before they won one. You have to be capable of caring for it which means letting it out and walking it. If you works 10-112 hour shifts then your poor dog is either outside in the heat/cold or locked up with no way to go potty! You have to be able to afford emergencies, good quality food, to 'fix' the pet. If you can't even front an adoption fee how do they know you can afford anything else for that pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A lot of adoption agencies are trying to cover medical cost, vaccines, spay/neuter as well as compensate for the food. Even the pound has an adoption fee. Here it is 75 dollars and doesn't include you spay or neuter but you are required to get it done so it's about the same in the long run.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• On Petfinder.com? I found my shelter dog from a shelter in Kentucky. I paid $25.00 to that shelter. I have seen some shelters that charge a lot of money, but not that much. Ugh. No, that is not right. It seems like they would be almost willing to give the animal away to a good home, doesn't it? The shelter I used in West Paducah. I guess I lucked out with him though. He's a one-eyed Cockerspaniel and the absolute best dog ever!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The idea is: If you can't afford the adoption fee, You can't afford to care for a pet. There is no such ting as a free or cheap dog and lets face it most of the major bills are already taken care of when you adopt from an agency.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes well I know pets are not cheap but with all the ads for homeless animals and such I am just wondering why someone would charge 350.00 for an adopted pet vs paying almost the same for a purebreed? It just don't make sence to me. I know animals are not cheap my pup has seizures (600 plus last 12 months) and we only paid 25.00 for him and 75. to get him fixed.
    Korysmom96

Comment by Korysmom96 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I can aford an adoption fee I just think it is wrong to charge that much for an adoption fee!
    Korysmom96

Comment by Korysmom96 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It does not bother me in the least because that money goes towards other animals in need. Frankly, the adoption fees do not even fully cover the medical needs of the animals.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010