Whaaaaat??

My pastor recently told everybody not to "sit" on their talents. In other words, use them and don't hide them. To use them for Godly purposes. When he said this, my husband and his whole family looked at me..... I'm a pretty talented singer and artist (I have some preeetty pics on my profile) but neither of those things really interest me. I sing in the shower and to my unborn baby. I've sung in choirs but it's just not fun to me. I draw to relax or when I get bored. Neither is a passion.... but now I feel obligated to use them. Do I HAVE to? Everybody's pushing me to join the worship team at church and I don't want to. Lol. I don't really know what I'm asking... just put whatever you want!!!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 4:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you are beginning to use your gifts. You are using it to sing to your baby. That may be all that God is calling you to do right now. Perhaps you will find a passion singing to or with the children in your church when your child is of that age. Or to sing to children in the community about God's love. God will present the perfect fit for your gift and it WILL be your passion! Same thing with the drawing. Perhaps you will fill the nursery at church with murals, teach children biblical principals and Godly character through art. Maybe you will design holiday cards to raise money for a senior citizen shelter. The possiblities are endless. What are your passions and how can you use your gifts live them out? Ask God and he will be certain to show you!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Do what calls to you. If you are content singing in the shower and drawing for your own pleasure, then keep doing exactly that. I seriously doubt your pastor intended to pressure you or anyone else into doing something that doesn't interest or fulfill you.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You are going to have a baby soon, right? It's completely understandable that you don't want to make a commitment to join a worship team right now.
    There are lots of other ways you can use your talents.Singing to your baby has got to be the best one I can think of! Maybe you can draw a mural on the church nursery wall, or participate in leading songs for the childrens church. If you want to , you can find lots of other opportunities besides the worship team!
    Maybe you need to think outside the box.....OR, maybe you need to say "no" to everyone right now and consider it at a later time.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm also a singer, and my whole circle of family (married into and blood relatives) and friends know about it. I sang at weddings and functions to put myself through college, and I would say it is a passion of mine, but I don't want to make it "work", ya know. When you're forced to use your talent in a manner that doesn't interest you, it becomes a chore, and you no longer like it. Do what you want with your gifts, and don't let anyone else tell you you're wrong to do so. I'd tell that pastor to sit on his talent, if you catch my drift (sorry... I'm quite confrontational today).
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• OK, "talents" has a totally different Biblical meaning. In Scripture, a talent is a certain measure of silver. It's money. But the bigger picture is anything of value, be it silver (money) or an actual talent or gift. We aren't to hide our gifts, anymore than we can hide our money. We must invest them, to see anything grow.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 4:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• God would not force you to do anything. Pray about it. Seek and Surrender to Him. He will guide you.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• sounds to me like you are using your talents in a way that enhances the life that God gave you, including singing to the unborn baby. God also gve you free will. I bet you have many skills and contribute with at least one of them in a way that is public.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You only use your gifts as God directs. Others need to pay attention to how God is speaking to them instead of looking at you. God will use you as he sees fit and y
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 5:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with the ones above me. Ask the Lord for His leading, and whatever you feel led to do, do it! With Him leading you, it won't be a chore or distasteful. You will actually enjoy it.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• do what you are called to do. God has a great work for you and who knows you mait be on tv singing for the Lord
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2008