What is the strangest...

pet (according to everyday standards) that you've ever had?

I've had to many to count...I've had spiders, lizards, skunk, opossum, monkey, rats, etc.

It's funny because of all the unique pets we've had...my 16 year old daughter is immune from all the yikeeness associated with animals like this. She was telling me about one day in class when there was a little mouse running around and all the girls, the teacher and even some of the boys were up on their desks and she just calmly went over, threw a shirt over the little guy and put him outside. We have two dogs and one rat now.

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pets

• We had farrets and a taratula as kids. My brothers used to catch opposum babies and tame them, but we always let them go after awhile. We raised several robbins, a woodpecker, and a pigeon. In HS I raised four baby sparrows. I also had a "pet" praying mantis in HS that used to sit in my window and catch flies. I named her "Jezzebel", but she lost her life when someone shut the window on her. Oops! I had a monkey in the philippines, and guess what? Monkeys are only fun for a little while. Then they get OBNOXIOUS!

I really have to say, though, the strangest pet I ever had was an iguana that HATED me. He would get out of his tank and poop on my pillow. I was afraid of him (got him from a friend, so I didn't raise him). Once I didn't know he'd pooped on my pillow until I found it in my hair the next day. I swear he would glare at me from accross the room, and he would thrust his head up at me repeatedly like he was (cont)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Rats, coons, squirrels
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• (cont)
    One day I was at my computer and he crawled up my BACK! He realized where he was when he got to my head, then he started HISSING at me! The nerve! I sat very still until he moved on. He also liked to pirch on my clothes rack and poop on my hanging clothes. How endearing!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We are buying a bearded dragon for my son for Christmas. We went last night and bought all of the supplies for the little guy...hope it works out for us!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Let's see, as a kid we had turtles (when they were allowed!), a chameleon, gold fish, cats and dogs. My son has had a hamster, tree frogs, a dog and a cat, nothing out of the ordinary!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Whenever I see an animal even an insect..lol I save them if I know they are caught in something or just can't help themselves
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've had ferrets, a rat, and I now have a desert tortoise.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• rats snakes toads crabs iguanas anoles frogs tarantulas horny toads the only exotic animal I have now is a sun conure
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• my daughter has kept beetles, caterpillars, spiders and worms..lol..does that count?? she catches them outside, puts them in her lil bug catching kit, and then takes care of them..last spring she caught 2 caterpillars, we had them for about a month (she wanted to watch them turn into butterflies) but it just wasnt happening, so i told her we had to let them go, so we did, and then about a month later we had 2 BEAUTIFUL butterflies that would not leave the yard..they were there for about 3 days, ALLL day!! it was amazing!! i coulda sworn those 2 butterflies were our 2 caterpillars!! :) i even have pics of the butterflies fluttering around my daughter..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I had mice, rats, frogs, turtles, hedgehogs, guinea pigs... we always catch caterpillars in the summer and feed them until they turn into butterflies. I really love little critters- so do the kids.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010