My son has asthma. He is 8 1/2 and has received treatments as needed since he was 10 months old. The meds he uses are Albuterol and Pulmicort. Does anyone else worry that it has stunted their childs growth? I know it is a side effect and so often side effects do not come into play but I feel they may have in this case. My son is 54 pounds and 50 inches tall. Am I needlessly worrying? Please let me know.

cappyd

Asked by cappyd at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Health

• Talk to your Dr. about your concerns. I've used Albuterol since I was a child. I have no side affects and as A woman and being 5 foot 7 Im taller than the average woman, and taller than almost all women in my family. It didnt stunt me. Albbuterol does give me insomnia though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I don't know if this helps but when I was younger I had bad asthma and had treatments and took the one of the meds he is taking now. If he is anything like I was, I was very skinny and not so tall either due to the meds, but you should check with your dr. I do know that the meds may effect eating at times. AT LEAST THATS WHAT THEY TOLD ME.
    HMIC

Answer by HMIC at 2:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I too have used albuterol for many many many years and I'm pretty average for height. What are your family genetics like? Are there people in the family that are shorter and thinner? Keep in mind, he hasn't hit puberty yet. Things can change rapidly when they hit that age!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I have had asthma since I was 4 and have been on every medication known to man. I am 5'10. I would not worry too much.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 8:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Hi . My 8 year old was on Albuterol and pulmicort for 3 years. now as needed... He is a healthy normal height 75 pound kid.. the pulmicort was amiracle for us.. It stopped almost all of the Hospital stays.. He was in and out of the hospital over 20 times the first 2 years of his life...
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• What does his doctor think about his height and weight . My son was underweight untill he had his tonsils taken out... now he starting to get overweight. lol.
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My little brother had the possible stunt growth diagnosis. He was stuck on so many different medications but once they stopped giving him so many meds he finally got over it and has since shot up to 6ft. So no i dont think it can stunt his growth.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• hmm...i'd ask the dr if u trust their opinion. Mine is on adhd pills and i worry some..but her dad is tall and well chances are she will be too! I think she is about 53 inches and 57 lbs (sad cuz she used to be catching up to her big sis..but hey atleast no clothes are falling off her butt) lol do a msg if ya wanna worry 2gether ;-)
    carisa

Answer by carisa at 12:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you would be interested in information about how to relieve the asthma problems PM me. What I have to share has helped a lot of other families with asthma.
    MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 3:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Both of my boys have asthma and take pulmicort and albuterol. Kaden is 48lbs, 48" tall at 4 1/2, and Colin is 36lbs, 32" at 19 months. I used to worry about their growth possibly being stunted, but the scarring that can occur from asthma attacks is far more worrisome to me. I would rather them be a little short than have scarred lungs. I guess it all depends on how much your child is taking, how often, and how bad his/her asthma is. Every drug has a risk.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2008