Calling all Mothers of Boys! Do you think it is appropriate or fair to boys for contact sports to include both genders?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 12:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both of my boys (6 & 8) play football. They went against a team this year with TWO GIRLS!!! Half of the boys didn't want to tackle the girls and the other half were tackling way too hard. I think that is very unfair to do to both the girls and boys. If you are going to have girls play football, then it should be their own girls team. Girls playing tackle football with boys is not cool at all!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 12:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I see how it could be an issue. Most of raise boys telling them not to ever hit a girl...but then you throw them on a field with other girls, and its supposed to be okay for them to tackle the girls or hit them, or whatever? Seems to be a bit confusing to me. I've always liked the fact the women and men sports are seperated. You can just play the game and not have to worry about who's hitting who, if you are being too rough, if you accidentally touched them innappropriately or whatever. I think combining 2 sexes will open a can of worms. If a boy accidentally grazes a girl's chest or touches her somewhere else, that girl could think it was on purpose and claim sexual harrasment or something. Its just too iffy.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If they are youngsters, I don't see a problem. After puberty, then not as much.

Not only is there the sexual aspect of it, but boys are physically stronger and could hurt the girls (thinking of American Football). Something like Baseball, Volleyball or even soccer to some extent, I don't see why not.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would actually be nice to see a good balance of male/female players in sports, especially when my son reaches high school.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I dont see a problem with it. I think its great....now it is just up to the parents to put their foot down when they thing its to much for their child to handle....When i was in high school there was a girl on the football team lol =) Funny thing is she was one of the best players haha
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I guess it depends on the age of the kids and the amount of contact in the sport. My son is in karate, and does spar with girls... no one is any more likely to get hurt, as they are supposed to use control when they land punches and don't spar until they are at an advanced enough level to have that control. Actually, the one time my son really got punched enough to hurt was by a girl in his class!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When I was a young girl I was in all the sports with the guys. No one ever complained and no one every did anything inappropriate. They just saw me as another kid in the neighborhood. So I don't have a problem with it

Answer by admckenzie at 1:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I see how it could be an issue. Most of raise boys telling them not to ever hit a girl...but then you throw them on a field with other girls, and its supposed to be okay for them to tackle the girls or hit them, or whatever? Seems to be a bit confusing to me. I've always liked the fact the women and men sports are seperated. You can just play the game and not have to worry about who's hitting who, if you are being too rough, if you accidentally touched them innappropriately or whatever. I think combining 2 sexes will open a can of worms. If a boy accidentally grazes a girl's chest or touches her somewhere else, that girl could think it was on purpose and claim sexual harrasment or something. Its just too iffy

AMEN, SISTER!!!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes. Both of my boys are in martial arts and have sparred against girls.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• yes! But ot as older kids lke hihschool, due to sexual harrassment issues
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010