How to divide up the Christmas money..........

My husband and I are going to his parents house for Christmas this year. I have $350 to spend on gifts and I am having a hard time deciding how to divide it up. I think I could just make a list of who to shop for and divide the money up equally. But I was also looking at a train table for my son ($180) and a doll house for 4 year old Isabel ($155). But thats all the money so they will be the only ones to get gifts and only one each. What would you do?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• Mason jar cookie or soup mixes have come up as a possible option for the adults in our family...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Honestly I would tell everyone that you are on a very tight budget this year and you are going to be spending it on your kids and let them know that you are not expecting any gifts either. We are only buying for the kids in our family this year and have about 80 dollars each for mine and 25 each for my two nieces.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd o for your kiddos after all they are ur babies! We are in the same boat, hubby has a huge family and money is no object for most of them, and the entire faily knows we are struggling so I am doing for my son and my niece this year. What about talking to the family and doing a Secret Santa gift exchange? Are you guys together for Thanksgiving? Draw names and stick to that! We did do that one year and it was great!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would spend it on my kids too. Just give the adults something small like wrap up a candle and put a nice poem with it like this one.

Or, if you have a CD burner, you could burn everyone a copy of a nice Christmas CD and put it in a card.  Or, if you like to bake, you could make the adults some fudge and put it in a decorative tin that they sell at dollar stores. 

Hope this helps.  I know how hard it can be. 

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Whenever my money is low in situations like this, I go to the cheaper stores (Dollar General, Dollar Tree, etc.). Shop where you can get more bang for your buck!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 12:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i would give a majority of the money to the kids like 75% of it then the rest split it up for the rest even if it just mean 10$ per person. christmas to me is more for the kids than for adults. and i would also go for the less expensive toys they may want. christmas is going to be tight for us this year too
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Get a piece of plywood and build a train table for your son! You can do it for about 1/4-1/2 the money! Get your 4 year old a very basic dollhouse and add on to it for future birthdays-Christmases-any other gift giving holidays. There's 1/2 the money saved for that. Then you take the money and go buy a bunch of toiletries-hair stuff-little tools from the Dollar Tree and put the stuff in little baskets-or appropriate containers. Use your imagination-get a little plastic tote-fill it with car cleaning supplies-voila'-you've got a gift for under $10.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've given everyone a $30 limit (even my daughter) but when I know I want to get someone something special and expensive I save up like $10 a week way in advance
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 1:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010