What is your leftover food tip for us?

Someone last week mentioned that they take the remaining bananas and freeze them to make banana bread later on. That was an awesome idea and one that I am using! So, what do you have to pass on to us?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For the leftover vegetables that you usually throw away at the end of dinner...get a zip-lock freezer bag and just dump them in there and store in freezer. Do this for a while and when the bag fills up, I make a great vegetable soup. I like to throw in cut-up leftover sausages....Yum!
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When you roast a whole chicken/Turkey don't waste the carcass. Boil it down for the best chicken stick you ever tasted. You can make soup the next day or freeze it in cubes and put the cubes into zip lock bags.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I do the same with strawberries so they are ready for smoothies or anything else. Our local grocery had them on sale last summer 10 packs for $10. I bought 30 packs!! I know we will use them all year long...& they are the yummy in season berries!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 12:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• LMAO! Stock not stick!!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Just to add to But_Mommie's idea...if you don't have time to make stock the next day, just throw the carcass in a ziplock and into the freezer and make the stock whenever you have time =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I make a 'new' dessert from the leftover sweet-potato/marshmallow casserole.

I just prepare a crust, as for lemon bars; blend the leftover sweet-potatoes (sometimes I add a little molasses and an egg); then top it with the same streusel I use for coffeecake. Bake until set, let cool, cut into bars. It's yummmmy. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010