Did your milk ever decrease??

Since going back to work I hve noticed I am not producing enough milk for my daughter. I pump 3 times at work and by time I get home she is ready for the real thing and gets fussy there is barely enough to fill her. The last time I nurse at work is 2 hours before coming home which I believe is enough time to produce more. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you get your production back up?

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cluster nursing in the evening is very common. It is normal for your supply to be highest first thing in the morning, then decrease as the day goes on. If she nurses on both sides and still seems hungry then put her back on the first side, then the second again. Just keep doing this until she is full. Also, by doing this you will "tell" your body to make more milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I drank alot of water and just pumped non-stop. I know you have to work , so you probably can't pump every hour. But that's what I did.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 12:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Same thing happened to me when I went back to work. I applaud you for continuing to BF even though you are working! What I did was drink mother's milk tea, take fenugreek and make sure not to eat anything that decreases supply...such as things with peppermint in them. Make sure to drink lots of extra water too.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I unfortunetly didn't get my production back up. Once I returned to work, I could only give him breast milk from the bottle in the evening, but between all the demands of everything I didn't have alot of time to do so. I got very discouraged and tired. Its' alot harder to do it after you go back to work. you have to keep a good mometum going. good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010