What is the best way to get acrylic nails off?

I got them put on a few weeks ago & I'm ready to get them off! what is the best way to do this without it being too too painful.

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 12:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• First clip off as much as you can with a nail clipper. Then soak your fingers in non-acetone nail polish remover. You still have to tug a tiny bit but it won't be as painful if you didn't soak them.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You can go to the shop and pay around 10-25 and let them do it or you can soak them for a good 20 min in nail polish remover WITH acetone and them clip them off with nail clippers. You may have to soak them a couple of times to get it all off.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The way I have done it is by biting them off or using a nail file. The thumbs hurt me the most.

One of my favorite sites...http://www.ehow.com/how_4473739_off-acrylic-nails.html
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ouch...I've gotten them professionally taken off and taken them off myself and I think it hurt worse with the nail tech did it. I usually soak my hands in really warm water...you can even do it in the shower, and just try and get underneath the "seal" somewhere. It's usually less painful if you try at the base of the nail instead of the tip. Then slowly keep pulling more and more off. Keep soaking your hand in warm water the whole time. When the nail tech did mine, the basically shoved a piece of plastic under the nail and like ripped it off. It hurt.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If you want to keep the natural nail that you have, soak the entire nail in pure acetone. If you don't want any free edge nail, then clip off everything and soak the rest in pure acetone.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i tried the acetone wrapped fingers... it doesnt work well and is very messy and im a finger licker when i eat and my fingers tasted horrible for weeks after that and it dried out my fingers horrible. in the salons here in ny, its ghetto but it works... they used metro cards. just put the card under your nail and wiggle back and forth and it will come off!! It's amazing.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 12:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i should add ur fingers are soaked for a long time, continuously as the process is done
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 1:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Acetone Nail Polish remover will just eat them off...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I had to do this. I suggest to soak soak soak. IN acetone. The thing is do not pry them off because the top layer of your nail will go too. Making them super weak. I had nails in the summer and they are still damaged. So take your time to get them off. Then start using some oil or some sort of cream to massage into your nails and cuticles.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• the acetone is what actually eats the acryillic and it is what damages the natural nail and nail bed. Not medical advice this is what my salon says to do they charge $35 for removal, take two pain releivers before removal like tylenol, and once the nails come off, trim and file nails, wash hands throughly, inspect nails for any fungus if you find any get a RX from your DR. over the counter treatments do not work as precaution rub in neuosporin on each nail and cuticle.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010