What do you think of when you hear Montessori?

montessorimom77

Asked by montessorimom77 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think of anything good, their way of teaching is not my cup of tea, they do not follow standards used in regular schools, and what happens when they get to college, they are lost? Don't like it and both of my daughters went to one but for a very short time.

Answer by older at 2:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• An actual school for pre-schoolers. I would have put both my children in if it wasn't so expensive.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Top notch school.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 12:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't know too much about it, but I think of a child led education that in which children work forward at their own pace.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Anon described it very well. Thank you, Anon.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I love it! And my son is in a wonderful Montessori school. He is learning real life experiences, how to be independent, he just turned four and he's doing great at math and beginning to read. His teachers are amazing. I love that my four year old concentrates on his work at hand. I love that they find creative solutions in the class. I see the influences at home how when he has an issue he finds a way to solve it. True it is not for every child or every family. And it is a family environment. You either invest in it or not. We have invested ourselves over into the Montessori methods and have seen the wonders of it. Most of those I know who trash it - truly don't understand it, even when they say they do. It becomes evident they don't in how they attempt to describe the process. Our current school is expensive. About a thousand a month. But next year we will switch to our local public school that has a

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Montessori program that is available as part of the public school options. I have toured it and, like all Montessori schools, there are a few differences in culture and practices to some degree - but it still practices the Montessori method. The children and the families are what makes the classes so great.  We may keep him in his class for another year at his current placement.  I'll just take it year by year.  But when I hear Montessori I am over the moon pleased.  I don't think of it as a status symbol.  It is a choice and an option.  I know that my son would not do well in a traditional classroom setting: he is too independent, he would not do well learning at one pace set by the teacher, he is a very physical and hands on visual learner - which a traditional classroom would not support at the level he would need.  But I also love homeschooling, Waldorf, and Reggio experiences. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• A good school where children are allowed to be children.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a Montessori degree, and Maria Montessori believed in never doing for a child that which you think they can do for themselves. I don't not get how a child can not be well rounded? They are shown a lesson, encouraged to "practice" this lesson in their own space. If another child wishes to join them at their "work" it is completely up to the child to say yes or no. It teaches children respect for personal space, but encourages group activities and quiet time. The "tools" Maria Montessori developed are some of the finest I have worked with. Love the math "games" she created. Makes learning fun. If you find the right "true" Montessori school, children can thrive. If you have a very active child, this may not be the environment for them (but it can be too) just depends on the kid and the "fit". They are pricey, but most "private" schools are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Kinda like pre-school, I went to one when I was little but they cost a lot of money, its like a privet school.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010