Why do people look the other way when someone is in danger and/or hurt? adult content

I watch that show "I Survived..." and I've seen several episodes where a woman was attacked, raped, and stabbed or beaten, and when she escapes and runs for help, the first person she cries out to won't help her! One episode, a woman got away from a man who raped her and beat her for 5 days... when she ran out of the house naked and bleeding, she flagged down a car with a woman in it.... but the woman in the car said "I'm sorry, I can't help you, I have to get to work." Other instances have been met with people turning off their lights and closing the blinds, or people running back inside their houses. WTH??
Is anyone out there a psychiatrist? I would love to know why this happens....

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sure in some cases people are selfish, but they may afraid to help and then get sued if they make a mistake. Or maybe they fear their own safety if they don't think the situation is real. I've helped people before, but I've also been scared to stop because something looked sketchy about the situation, but I still called for help or told someone they needed help. Sometimes someone really needs help, and sometimes they are preying on people to rob them or attack them. I have also seen many instances where we see the best in humanity. In the Nashville floods last May, many people dropped everything (even when their own homes were flooding) to help their neighbors get to safety. People grabbed their jet skis and canoes to rescue others or help them save something sentimental or valuable from their homes. Many people asked, 'What can I do to help?' even when they were victims too--by donating, volunteering, etc.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Nobody wants to get involved.

Answer by older at 1:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have been in an emergency situation and everyone drove past without a care. All I have to say is Karma is a b***h. And yes, I help others.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think ppl are scared for themselves or kids. One time we had a women who came to our door bleeding and crying. My hubby didn't let her in the house because we didn't know what danger she was in and of course we didn't want the kids to be in the middle of it. But my hubby got his gun and cell phone went out side with her. We got a neighbor women who helps women like this, we took her in our garage to get the story. That time her BF or hubby came pulling up screaming and saying that he is going to kill her. My hubby told him to get of our property, at that time the police showed up because we already called.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 12:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That is not the mentality in the area I live. People are always willing to help.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Wow... thats really cynical of you. This stuff really happened to these people! And most of them are trying to reach out to other victims to let them know that they aren't alone. They aren't following a script! There are people on that show with real scars, physical and emotional.

More like it's very naive of you. Of course these are "based on" real stories, but you'll notice the disclaimer on every episode "dramatization". That means they've scripted and rewritten what really happened, had it re-enacted by actors, and amped it up to make it more interesting. Thanks for the down vote, btw. I'm sorry I shattered your illusions that true crime reality tv shows were completely true and factual.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Many are willing to make an emergency call, few are willing to physically get involved citing safety concerns. We stop and physically help all of the time. We even helped evacuate a family from a roll over accident in So America. My father (retired Battalion Fire Chief) and I also provided first aid with the help of a bus driver and his supplies.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would love to know why this happens....

Because it's a "reality" show and they want to ramp up the drama. Someone too busy to help because they "have to get to work" isn't going to slow down, roll down the window, and say it, they're just going to keep driving.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• NotPanicking... Its not a reality show. It is a series about people who have survived real events. Have you even seen what I'm talking about??
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• 1Giovanni... wow. Thats crazy... I mean, I can understand why you didn't bring her in around your kids, but you didn't abandon her either. Your husband went out there with her, called the police, and then sheltered her. That's wonderful!
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010