Carseat Issue..can someone guide me on it?

I have a son, he is my first, still not used to the whole mommy thing because it doesn't come with a handbook, but could someone possible help me about how old a child should be in order to move to a big boy car seat? He's almost 8 months and I'm completely lost. I know I may sound stupid but I'd really like some insight on it. Can anyone help?

thutch21

Asked by thutch21 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use a convertible seat at any time. A convertible seat is a "big boy seat" that goes both rear and forward facing. At this point, you would use it rear facing. You do not switch to forward facing until AT LEAST 12 mos and 20 lbs, but it is MUCH safer to stay rear facing as long as possible, preferably to the rear facing limit of the seat. Convertible seats all rear face up to at least 35 lbs. There are a few that rear face to 40 lbs, and one that goes to 45. As I said, legally, you can go forward at both 12 mos AND 20 lbs, but I recommend keeping your child rear facing longer. My son is 3 and about 27-28 lbs, and rides comfortably rear facing. He's a peanut, so I'll probably keep him that way for quite some time. The seat I have in my van and in my mom's car allows for rear facing to 40 lbs, and the seat in DH's car allows for rear facing to 35 lbs. I agree that your son is probably too big for the infant
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• He needs to remain rear facing until AT LEAST one year and 20 lbs, the longer he stays rear facing comfortably, the safer he will be. So if he seems to be getting too big for his infant carrier carseat, look into a convertible one that can be rear facing up to 35 pounds or so and then be turned and forward faced when you're ready to make that switch. He should remain in a five point harness until 40 lbs and I want to say 4 years, but again the longer the better. Then comes a booster seat until 8 years and 80 lbs. Hope that helped. If you're still lost, you can go into Babies R Us and ask, they should have someone to show you the different options.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I moved from the infant seat to a carseat at 7 months. I would look at consumer reports for the most recommended ones.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Do you mean when should he move to a front facing toddler seat? I think they recoment 2 years now. My hubby works for highway patrol and thats what he told me. But they get to big for the infant seat pretty fast so we just bought one of those reversible ones.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It depends on how much he weighs. And each model is built for a certain weight range. I would google the model name.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I got one of those 3 in 1 carseat because my son was way to big for an infant seat by the time he was 6 months. Just remember he would still have to be facing the rear until he is one year old. When you go shopping for carseats they should have the requirements there
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I had to switch to a convertable car seat around that age with my son because he was getting too big for his infant one. If he's getting too big for it definity look into a convertable one that can face both backwards and forwards. If you have questions about picking one go to Babies'r' us and ask for help even if you can't buy one from there, they have people that can help.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Thank you ladies I truly appreciate it...you've all been really helpful, I was so lost, my son is almost 8 months and weighs 22 lbs...but he's really long, and when I put him in his infant carseat it just looks like he has to bunch up his legs in order to not have his legs fall asleep!
    thutch21

Comment by thutch21 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• seat at this point, but still not old or big enough to go into a forward facing car seat. A convertible is your best bet, and if you care to tell me your budget, and needs (like how long you plan to keep him rear facing) I can help recommend some seats.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm not one for a big budget...I'm a bit of a cheap skate as of now because I don't have a job...so it would more than likely be my MIL buying is...(unfortunately) because she doesn't listen to anything we say and she'd more than likely tell us that he's big enough to sit in a front facing carseat...I would really like some help on the whole budget thing..please!
    thutch21

Comment by thutch21 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010