How do I get an 11 yo to turn in his homework?

My son is very bright. He gets excellent test scores and passes all them with exceedingly high scores, yet he will not turn in his homework and I have told him the homework makes up the majority of his grade. He has had everything taken away because he has not turned homework in in five weeks, in four out of five classes and the one class he is passing in he does all of his homework and has all excellent grades on it and he also tells me that is his favorite teacher. So how do I approach this...

karma1578

Asked by karma1578 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go to school with her for 3-4 days and march her little butt to the front of the class to turn in the work. This will send a clear message. I realize you may work, and it's a major inconvenience, but our kids are certainly worth it.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 4:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• As a teacher I have been in the situation. I had a sixth grade girl one year that refused to walk the yard or so to my desk to put her work in the basket. She was failing my class. She was a very bright girl, did well on all her tests (one of the top performers in the class actually) but she was also very lazy when it came to some things. I had a conference with the principal, her parents, the student, and myself. She had a lot going on in her life and we had to work out a check off list to monitor her behavior with regards to doing and turning in her work. She made the prinicpal's list by the end of the year. Basically though, you are going to have to make yourself a very present figure when it comes to his work and teachers and work with them to help him succeed.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• well, first of all you need to make sure that he is getting his homework done every night........if he doesnt get it done then he cant turn it in-obviously. Develop a system......get him a folder for each class and keep it in his backpack........use one side of the folder for homework and the other for completed homework........when he gets home have him do his homework and then put it in the completed side of the folder.....then all he has to do is pull it out and hand it in....... If he has an issue simply taking it out of the backpack and handing it in then there may be some underlying reason why he is not doing it......you can try and talk to him intently as see what the problem is or you could just talk with his teachers and tell them the system you developed and they can the approach him and ask for his homework directly..........or tell him he will be held back!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008