How long can someone last on Dialysis?

My grandma, who is 67, has type 2 kidney disease due to diabities. She just found out that her kidney disease is down to 15% and will be starting dialysis in the next month or two. I have been doing some reading and have found that the life expectancy is only 4 years after dialysis is started and I wanted to hear some peoples stories of loved ones, or themselves. I have three really young children who are really attached to their great gram.. and I just dont want her to leave this world yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• It all really depends on the persons health. This is something you need to ask her doctor. Everyone is different. Even a very healthy person may not live long on it and a very ill person may last years. It just depends on how the person body takes it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease last March. They told me that he could live indefinitely on dialysis-but my son is 35 years old. Chances are something else will fail-and then another when you throw diabetes into the mix. I suggest going to Hallmark and getting a "Grandmother's Book". It's a wonderful book that has all these questions you can ask her about her past-her family-her ancestors-so you can get the information recorded. It asks for stories about her childhood-about your parent's childhood-just pretty much covers everything! I got one for my Grandmother several years before she died-my cousin got her one at about the same time! When we each got our books after she died-we found that she had mixed them up more than once! LOL So I had stories about his dad-he had stories about my Mom! I also got some of her recipes that I treasure till this day!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• First she should get on a list for kidney donation ASAP. They will assist her with it through the dialysis center. She is not old & the chances may be good that she'll get a match. Family members can donate if they are a match but that is a very big choice to make. My Dad has been on Dialysis for over 3 years and is going strong. But he has no other medical conditions like diabetes. But his good friend whom he go to Dialysis with has diabetes & has been going for the same amount of time and is doing OK but he could be doing better since he does not follow the diabetes diet at all which hurts him in the long run. If She takes care of herself with the diabetes & follows all of the Dr. recommendations as far as diet, she should do well. It is no walk in the park though and I give these people who go to Dialysis all the credit. My Dad goes 3 times a week, he is 80. Best wishes.
    Anonymous

• aww im sorry x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010