How do you help to teach a child self control?

My SO has a daughter from a previous relationship who is special needs. When it is time for a drink they give it to her and then they take it away when it is not time for a drink. Problem is... she has not been taught self control to understand you don't have to drink the entire thing just because you currently have it.

When she gets a drink she drinks... and drinks... and drinks... and drinks... till it's gone. Then she doesn't have anything because we can't treat her special and give her more than her sisters (my children - 5 & 3) to drink because that isn't fair to them.

We have been trying to help her understand she can't fill up on drinks and then not eat, but it doesn't seem to resonate in her mind what we are teaching her... she just continues to drink until her drink is gone and then try to still drink from an empty cup. :(

Is there anything else we can do other than what we have tried: giving her drinks at appropriate times and explaining to her that we need to eat more and drink less, etc.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was always taught to eat all your food then you could drink your juice. I have to do this with my 2 year old because if i put a cup in front of him he think he can drink it and leave the table.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 1:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• my kids don't get juice. they get milk for breakfast and dinner, water for lunch and snacks. i guess i'm having a hard time understanding your problem. why is it so bad to give your child more to drink if they drink it all? i mean, okay like my kids will drink all their drink, then ask for more and i'll just tell them they need to eat some of their meal first. no biggie. even my dh and i will be so thirsty that we'll drink the whole cup full before even starting on our meal. who cares if she gets more than your daughters. i just can't imagine this being a big deal. but maybe i'm reading it wrong or something.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010