What would YOU do in this Woman's shoes?!?!

I am faced with a delima.

I would LOVE to go to the local community college.
I would LOVE to pursue a Medical Career. I.e., Nursing or Nuclear Engineer.

Problem: I have a 7k student loan that I am unable to pay on. I may have to do a 'settlement.'
Problem: took 2 years of college, just fumbling all over the Scrabble board. My last 2 classes, I was actually on the right path toward a Science Degree (A.A.) for Nuclear Med.

What would YOU do?

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 1:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• woulda, shoulda, coulda - pee or get off the pot.

Get a job in the health care field that has a tuition program - school and experience ( start at whatever level you are currently qualified for may have to start in nutrition or housekeeping)

Go to local Department of Labor office with unemployment being so high the government is running alot of different education and training programs free or low cost.

good luck!
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 1:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Is it a school loan? Shouldn't it be deferred while you are in school? I would go back to school, defer the loan, finish the degree, and get a job that allows you to finish paying off to loan.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You're not going to be able to settle with the student loans that you already have. Sorry :(
    You can look for scholarships, work an extra job to pay off the student loans you already have, and/or save up to pay for the rest of your school.

As you probably already know a lot of people go to school and don't finish. The last thing you need is twenty thousand more in student loan debt and no degree.

Live your dream, but be smart about it. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Do whatever you need to do to finish your education. A financial aid counselor at the college would be the person to start with.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Sorry sweetie but I don't really see the question here.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Basically, if you were faced with a 7k loan, would you do a settlement so you could go back to school? Pay off the loan and go back to school? Continue the loan and go back to school? Go back to school and pay for the schooling yourself?
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm a little confused.... You want to know if you should go back to school, even though you have a loan? Are you saying you still might not be dedicated to it or sure what you want to do?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I really want to go and make something of myself but, this 7k loan has me bogged down and ashamed.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I know that I want to do a medical field. I actually know this time around where I am headed. I feel like I cannot do school with a 7k loan over my head. I feel like maybe I should do a settlement to the bank so, I can pay it off and do school the right way.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It is a school loan. I have been out of school for close to 2 years and I have been unable to pay on my loan after the 6 month period. They are supposed to turn me into a collection agency this month. A friend informed me of a link that should be on the banks loan site for economic hardship. Anyone heard of this?
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010