Shouldn't I have my my teen's passwords on Facebook or MySpace accounts?

Drama that goes on in my teen's life worries me, so I think I should be able to monitor what goes on in her Facebook or Myspace accounts and also to make sure that no predators/bullies are communicating with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Why would you not have it? She's lucky you even allow here to be on those sites. Ask for the PW or block her from using those sites. It's simple.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• DD won't be allowed to have facebook unless i have her password. She wants one now, but i told her she has to wait until she is older & that i have to have her passwords.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't think so, but that's just me. Maybe make a FB/ Myspace account and friend her.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ditto
    If I didn't have those passwords, no accounts on those sites.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That is the rule in this house or he doen't have one!!! I am able to look at it anytime and if not then I will deal with it! Mine has never had a problem with lettinmg me know it!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• YES!!!! Too many people pray on teens and most dont realize it. Makes sure they don't have any adult friends you don't know.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes absolutely - I hear from other mom's that most kids have several sites (whatev) one for parents and then the real ones. So even with passwords, can you be sure you know what is really going on?
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 1:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yeah I wouldn't let my kid have one without having the passwords to those sites and I would monitor them regularly

onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• depends on how old they are.. i think after 15 they should ahve a little privacy... but definatly help them set up privacy settings and be their friend so you can see everything
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 1:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Absolutely, until my kids were 18 they knew I had to have the passwords, and that I could check on them at any time. Internet was only in a public room in our house until they were 18. The internet is a public system, so they don't have any expectation of privacy on it. Total strangers can have access to them, so definitely as their parent, I expect the same.

Did I use those passwords....very rarely, I really didn't need to because they knew I had them and could see what's going on, but there were a couple of occasions when I was glad that I had them. Remember even really good well behaved kids are inexperienced, and this is our only opportunity to monitor and guide them....and it's our job.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010