Know of a mild OTC sleep aid?

I need a little help getting to sleep sometimes. Any recommendation that is mild and you found helpful? Thanks!!

elizabr

Asked by elizabr at 1:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• None of the are good for you at all. I've turned to all natural herbal teas. I mix the recipes myself and they work amazing with no side affects whatsoever. Send me a message if you want some recipes.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Tylenol makes one that I like, as long as I take it about 9:30 or so I don't wake up groggy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Melatonin.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Many times they will recommend benedryl(Diphenhydramine HCI)-which is very effective if you use it occasionally. However if you use it for an extended period of time you must be aware of the side effects. Loss of short term memory is one of them. I use a Sleep Aid that is sold by Costco by that name. I wake up bright and ready to go in the morning-so I really like it. And I haven't heard of any side effects. The key ingredient in that is the same that is found in Unisom-I don't what it is right off hand.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I take Melatonin and it puts me right to sleep.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The problem with Melatonin is that since your body makes it naturally, once you start bringing it in from a synthetic outside source, your body slows or ceases the production so when you need it again naturally, it may take a long while to kick in.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Melatonin. Take about 20 minutes before you want to go to sleep or, if you have trouble waking in the middle of the night, then take half the dose 20 minutes before bed & the other half when you go to bed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A spoonful of honey an hour before bed and a pot of chamomile tea. Add a hot bath and some warm pj's...voilĂ ! Sleepy time!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I like the Tylenol golden vanilla or warm vanilla...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 3:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Melatonin
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010