How do you feel about taking a sick kid on a plane across the country?

My dd is 2.5 years old, and this would be her second plane trip.

I swear, out of nowhere, she has developed a cold (at least I think it's a cold). She's a little grouchy, she has green mucous, she is sneezing a lot. I'm not sure if I should go ahead with plans to fly tomorrow, or if I should postpone.

To be honest, I'm not feeling all that great either. I'm feeling really run-down.

What what you do? I'm taking her to the walk-in clinic pretty soon, but wanted to see what you all would suggest too.  We're scheduled to leave TOMORROW.

The tickets are the non-refundable type, and I would have to have a doctor's note in order to change the tickets. I'd also have to pay the price difference in the new tickets I'd purchase.

Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Not only think about your DD, think about the other people on the plane!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think you should post pone if you can.

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I say postpone....I would not go on any trip with a sick child.....Young kids already have a hard time flying because of the pressure change and to add being sick to that it would be so much worse....I say put it off for about a week or 2. There shouldnt be much of a price difference if any at all. That and if I was on the plane with you and your sick child I would be upset....I hate when people travel sick.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• its a very bad idea the cabin pressure can contribute to turning a cold in to a major illnes. i have had it happen to me in fact
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 2:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with older I'd postpone the flight if its possible.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• She's sneezing, which is a good sign that the mucus is moving. Which means it's most likely leaving her system. However, it's probably not going to be gone overnight. I would suggest that you postpone the trip. Especially since you're feeling sick as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd postpone it. By going on the plane, you risk getting other people on there sick.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would if you can post pone and I hope you can get the doctor to help with the price. I know you were to fly but to me not a great thing to do right now. I know disappointed if going somewhere for the holiday but best to stay at home and both of you get well. I had do the same thing one year when daughter got ear infection. But maybe try for christmas and hope the two of you get well soon.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• First thing is go to the doctor.....if he says your ok to travel,travel .....you might want some surgical masks if you are coughing since its a confined area....take all the meds you are prescribed. ask the doctor for some meds to knock the little one out for the flight(benadryl is great for that)...feel better.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Oh I have had to fly being sick before and if I could have postponed believe me I would have.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010