American Exceptionalism...can you dig it?

American exceptionalism refers to the opinion that the United States is qualitatively different from other nations.

Its exceptionalism is claimed to stem from its emergence from a revolution, becoming "the first new nation", and developing "a unique American ideology, based on liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

Do you think we're an exceptional nation?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, we are the only country that operates under a true republic. Well, that is changing, but....
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I do believe we have something special... thats why so many have immigrated here and continue to. But it is something we are going to have to work to maintain. We can't let anyone convince us that we should feel guilty for having what we've worked for, or that we shouldn't have our freedoms because others don't have them.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yep sure do..and I wouldn't want to be a miserable pile who thinks we SHOULDN'T be proud and gets angry when Americans are..'We aren't better than other countries'....'You are an arrogant ____'

How miserable must one be? They can kiss my white American a@@
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I believe in American exceptionalism. We are a charitable, proud, smart, and free people. We will fight to the death, if needed, to continue to be that way. All the George Soros-es in the world don't have the smarts to take us down no matter how hard they try. We will fight and argue, but in the end, we will pull together and save our exceptionalism which in itself is an exceptional thing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't hate UpSheRises, but liberals DO want to take this country in a political direction that is far from what made it exceptional. The people who founded this country didn't do so living on welfare, dodging wars, or demanding that the government give them more.

The people who made this country great worked their butts off; initially without electricity, phones, plumbing, or polyester. They worked, they saved, and if they didn't have enough they did without but they kept on working. They put the good of the nation first rather than themselves. They helped their neighbors instead of suing them. They hung those who broke the law and pressed on.

We (the US) started off with nada. Raw forests. No roads. No utilities. No communications. Do we actually have to end up back to that before people figure it out? I hope not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes I do.
    Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• As there is in ANY country sister so what..I still feel America is the absolute BEST
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I agree Up! I think I am a classic example of the American Dream.

I also think we are coming dangerously close to undoing it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes we are. I do think there are those who don't want us to be and are working hard to make sure we don't remain exceptional.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We can't let anyone convince us that we should feel guilty for having what we've worked for

Sad part is progressives have convinced alot of our youth of just THAT
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010