Teething dog chewing everything - including my kid!

My dog is about 5 mos old. He chews on everything. Just since yesterday he chewed thru the wire that works the sideburner on my grill, the garden hose, and pulled the hose holder off the post. He also tore up a hat that was his toy, a bucket and numerous other things. But what is really getting to me is that he is biting my 5 yr old. He does not bite me or my 7 yr old. He doesn't bite him hard, but he keeps biting him every chance he gets, no matter what they are doing. I think he thinks he is playing, but it's starting to scare my son, and I'm just getting very tired of it all the time. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get the dog to stop biting everything? Oh, and I've already tried smacking his snout when he bites my son, didn't help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Pets

• 1st, smacking his snout won't help (as you know) they either think you are playing or become dominant and try to get back at you. What I did with my puppy that seemed to want to chew on everything is get him the Nylanbone brand non-edible bones (LOVES - just make sure you get the kind for powerful chewers), a kong and put some peanutbutter and his favorite treat inside, and even an old stuffed toy or two. These will become his toys and chewing things, everything else you need to try to pick up or crate him/baby gate the kitchen if you can't keep a close eye on him. I work at an ER vet clinic and we see this stuff all the time and end up having to do surgery for foreign body removal. Try the bones, kong and stuffed animal. If that doesn't help let me know. :)
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What will really help him is to start training him. Is your puppy used to a collar and a lead?If so start a training session on manners and obedience. Puppies have a lot of energy, they need to be wore out at least 3x a day. By that I mean you need to walk him but a brisk walk for exercise. Get him used to doing other things. Take him to classes, and teach him what you want him to do. Down time may need to be in a crate. Keep your puppy busy with his own chew toys. Don't allow him to be with your children unsupervised until you teach him manners. I don't know what kind of dog you have or how BIG he will get but its best to start laying down the rules. Petsmart has training classes, and your puppy will learn to behave around everyone. . Get some help if you need to have some advise. It's better to be the pack leader and put him in his place. Good luck , and God bless.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 9:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• watch it's me or the dog. it sounds like he was weened to early. you need to get a clicker distract the dog and when he bites distract it and when he doesn't bite give him a treat. find the show on animal planet. you'll learn alot on that show.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• 1.) What breed is the dog? If it is lab, or part lab it will chew constantly until he/she is about 4 years old.
    2.) As a former trainer it sounds like he is very bored. In my experience, outdoor animals are more destructive because they get less attention than an indoor animal.
    3.) The dog needs to be trained. I'm not talking about high fives, and roll over. I'm talking sit, stay, come, down, heel, long stays, no jump, off, etc... A trained dog makes for a happy dog and owner.
    The dog does not sound as if he is biting in aggression, but playing. However, that does not change the fact that it is scaring your child. Have your kids be a part of the training and this will teach the animal that they are the alphas and he should submit to them. I hope that this helps.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I'm the OP. I guess I should have clarified (by some of your answers) that he is an outside dog. Also, I work, so I can't do stuff with him 3 times a day. Classes are not an option; they cost money I don't have. And he's never alone with my kids. He acts, in some ways, like he is trained fine (we've done some training), b/c he will listen to me and my 7 yr old. It's just the 5 yr old. And I've told my 5 yr old that the dog is trying to dominate him and that he needs to tell him no, get down, stop biting, etc., but he just yells for me or my 7 yr old to do it instead. And we can't just sit there and tell him he has to do it while the dog is doing this stuff to him, you know? As for the chewing on stuff, he only seems to do it during the night, so I'm not sure if that would still be boredom? I don't know...I'm just so frustrated! Thank you for your suggestions, though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• OP again....btw, I wasn't trying to be rude about the suggestions that won't work for me; I was just trying to explain why they won't work. Please don't be offended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Try crate training I know it is used for potty training but it also works great with disipline issues as well. I had a dog that chewed a brand new 1600.00 sofa into a 5.00 piece of crap. It frustrated me so badly but then I remember the crate and how well it work with potty training him and thought well i could give it a try and after spending a few nights in the crate... he decided he liked laying at the foot of our bed just as much as chewing up things. Hope this helps :)
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• when my boxer was doing that when she started chewing i smacked with a newspaper on the but the turned her attention to her toys, and when she destroyed the toys i went to solid rubber toys. and they also have some bitter yuk spray it works and so does vinigar. they can't stand it or there is also hot peppers they want mess with them so you could rub hot peppers on the main thing he chewing on. just be careful putting him in the crate for punishment that will make it harder on crate traing and alot of outher thingbecause he will look to the creat as punishment.
    Dana522

Answer by Dana522 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I HAVE TWO PUPPYS YOU NEED TO BUY HIM ALOT OF CHEW TOY'S THAT IS ALL THEY NEED !!
    Anonymous

• WHEN MY DOG WAS NIPPING MY KIDS I GOT THEM TO PIN HIM TO THE FLOOR TELLING HIM NO UNTIL THE COUNT OF 3 SOMETIMES I'D HAVE TO STEP IN (STAY CLOSE WHILE THE CHILD DOES THIS) AS FOR CHEWING I FOUND THAT WHEN YOU COOK MEAT THE JUICE IN THE PAN YOU FREEZE IT IN A PLASTIC BOTTLE THEY'LL CHEW ON IT FOR HOURS MY BROTHER EVEN DID IT WITH HIS ROTTY
    Anonymous