Kinda pathetic but is anybody else selling their own property to make Xmas money?

Husband has sold a couple video games for $100. I am selling (trying to sell) one of my cameras and I have already sold something else for $40.

It's so we can give the kids a good Christmas. He makes enough to pay for the house, bills, & gas for commuting. He makes too much to qualify for food stamps so we are tight. I was laid off and can't find work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I disagree with anony- OP you're basically taking stuff you don't want and trading it for stuff that you do want. To me that seems wise. Just don't go over board. Money is tight, and while you do want your kids to have a good Christmas, it doesn't need to put your family in a financial bind.

Hope things turn around for you guys soon!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm not - but I think it's sweet that you are. I would just go light on the presents and big on the crafts, hit a couple of extra Christmas street festivals, go on an extra light-watching trip and other no-cost experiences with the kids, instead.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 3:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Not this year but I have done that! You gotta do whatcha gotta do !!!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 3:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes.

Well...selling crap to make up for the money we've already spent. We've got stuff on ebay and hope to get about $150 total.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We're building a house and trying to squirrel away more for a down payment, so we're not really doing anything for Xmas this year. Instead of a bunch of toys they will play with for a couple of months, they will have bigger rooms and a new playroom. Normally we do a lot for my parents for Xmas, and I told them that if they didn't mind, we would like to put it off until next summer. They were totally cool about it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I sell our things and things I buy thrift stores on ebay all year round, but kick it up this time of the year for extra Christmas money. I also sold my daughters baby swing since she outgrew it on craigslist and i'm putting another large item on there this week as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• these are things my husband and i own are are willing to give up for the sake of our children, anony. these are not things that belong to the kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have sold DDs old clothing on EBay, and made some decant money. I may sell the PS2 and all the games for we NEVER touch the thing.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have done that throughout the year for various reasons like we sold our daughters old crib to someone that really needed it after she grew out of it and it was just collecting dust in her closet taking up space, we did this to buy her clothes for the summer as things are tight . You do what you gotta do and I think its awesome that your giving up things of your own and making sacrifices to bring your kids a little joy at Xmas. If I was unable to buy her Xmas I would be doing the same thing. This year I spent the last few months doing surveys online to save extra money for Xmas if anyone is interested feel free to message me for the details.

Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 4:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yepp maternity clothes and all types of stuff...mostly because I need to get rid of the stuff anyway!! But my sons bday is like 5 days before Christmas!!! I have alot compounded in a short time!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010