I need advice from moms who have shared custody

Here is the deal

I have shared custody with my sons father which is what I wanted but ever since the judge signed the papers and it was up to us to manage the weekends it has gone down hill. He has him from 6pm fri to 6pm sun every other weekend. Well this year I get my son for Thanksgiving break which means they bring him back at 6pm today. Well on friday when his stepmother picked him up she asked if they could keep him because hes out of school till Wednesday and I said H*ll no its my Thanksgiving this year. So I text both Stepmom and Father and said make sure your here at 6pm today beacuse they never are on time. I know this is not a legal advice place but what can I do if they do not show up? I know I cant call the police because I have done that before and the police cant do anything about it and I am so d*amn fed up with them and thinking they can just keep him when its not a choice if they bring him home or not. Please just give me some advice so I can get on the right track with this. Its not his father who does all this because he works nights its his wife that pulls the crap of keeping him later than they should and I am afraid they wont even bring him home at all today...

bhoward87

Asked by bhoward87 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• wait... if they do not bring him home that night then can you go get him. And even if they police won't "do" anything -make them write a report so that you have documentation of the issue (and keep documentation in a journal) ... if they keep not following the Court order ... file for contempt and perhaps even modification (although I'd hesitate to do the last esp. if dad and child have a good relationship).
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Take the issue to your lawyer. They will tell you what to do next.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I agree you should talk to your lawyer!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I was hoping to get advice from people who have been in a similar situation I know I can talk to my lawyer which I plan to do but its Sunday obviously.
    bhoward87

Comment by bhoward87 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I agree I would go pick him up if they do not have him home. My ex and his wife are jerks like that. Its not always easy or cheap to talk to a lawyer and the cops dont do anything even if you show them the court papers
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 4:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010