when writing a story, do you seriously count every word yourself?

when trying to publish your story, the editors want a number count of your story, now i dont know if there's somewhere where it tells you the number count but i am using word processer.

do you have to go through your whole story and count the words or how is it done?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have OpenOffice.org - which is a free word processor download that's comparable to (and compatible with) Microsoft Word. I would say 90% of the tools are in the same place, though... check under the "Tools" tab at the top of the screen.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 3:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• your word processing program will tell you the word count. Which program are you using?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I use microsoft office and it tells me my word count.....you can even hilight things and it will tell you how many words are hilighted out of the full ammount. Its great for my school work when every paragraph has to have a min of 200 words or something like that...
    Anonymous

• no course not type it and the wp counts it lol
    Anonymous

• ooops i answered anon sorry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• way back in the day i used to have to count word for word..lol kinda makes me sound old..but im only 27..LOL but yaa there are programs that count it for ya...but when i was in school, our teachers wanted them hand written..so i HAD to count manually..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Word processors have a wordcount function on them. You just have to find it. I mostly use OpenOffice but I've also used Word and Works and they all have wordcount on them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Generally a word processor averages it out, so 5 letters equals one word.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010