Good or Bad?

What has your experience been with Depo provera? My daughter is on it to regulate her periods.

MamaAlice54

Asked by MamaAlice54 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've been on it for about 2 1/2 years now because my periods were like that heavy and about every other week for a week to two weeks. I still had them for a while but it was light and less frequent, and about 2 months ago i stopped have it completely. My doctor just said that i needed to drink more milk then usual too because it wears down your bones over time. I haven't tried to get off of it yet so idk about those side affects. It has made it so my anemia wasn't as bad though. So for me so far it has been good.
    xfallx2xpiecesx

Answer by xfallx2xpiecesx at 7:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• depo does not regulate your periods

depo is red labeled med by the FDA b/c it causes severe ostreoporosis at an early age and is linked to infertility
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Thank you I hadn't heard about the red label thing. I just know that her periods were coming very hard and heavy-and often and they put her on the depo and they calmed right down.
    MamaAlice54

Comment by MamaAlice54 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Hated it! Made me fat! Depressed, and my hair and skin were a mess.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you guys for your answers-I really appreciate the input! I am going to ask her Dr. about it-now that she has been on it for a while; she does need the birth control also! She started on it when she was 15-like I said it was to regulate her bleeding-which I have wondered is cyst related; but now 2 years later she is in a serious relationship with a guy she has loved since she was 12 years old!
    MamaAlice54

Comment by MamaAlice54 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010