How would you handle this? (about neighbors)

We just moved into this apartment about a month ago and ever since we moved in the neighbors have been leaving their clothes in the washer and dryer for days at a time. I went down there a little while ago and found yet another smelly damp load in the dryer. I was pretty irritated and I took it out and threw it on the dirty ground. Probably shouldn't have done that but I did. They came to my door and asked if I had been down there and said something about their clothes being on the floor. I was still pretty mad so I just told them maybe they shouldn't leave it there and closed the door. Now my husband is mad about having to do "damage control." We are paying for the water ourselves so I should be able to wash clothes when I want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Pretty deserving if you ask me for their inconsiderate behavior....but *sigh* two wrongs don't make a right. They might dig in their heels and continue to do this more, knowing it bugs you at which point I would involve a third party like the landlord I think.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think I would have probably called the landlord - by throwing their clothes on the floor, you opened the door to drama - and now you are going to have to babysit the washer and dryer every time you want to do laundry. It's not right that they leave their clothes in there for days at a time, I would be irritated too, but you have to let your landlord handle things like this or it will just be a petty mess.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i would have (and have!) done the same thing. they should know that when the machines are shared between tenants, to be more responsible. not my problem if they have to rewash. i know it sounds crappy, but heck..you don't have all day or all week to wait on their lazy butt to 'finish' their laundry.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You're paying for THEIR water as well?? I'd just take it out and stick in in a cardboard box down by the dryer.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have a discussion with them like adults do and not throw things around like a child. I'm sorry but that was very immature and I understand your husband being upset.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have asked them if there was a way to split the laundry time better - or a place you could put their clothing if it's left too long, first. If they couldn't come to a solution with you then I'd have resorted to tossing their shit out later.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 3:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry but that's funny you threw their clothes on the floor, that's something I've been tempted to do but of course never would..I don't live in an apartment anymore but when I did I just hated it when I had to pull someone else's clothes out of the washer or dryer just so I could use it..I didn't wanna be a tattle tale and squeal to the landlord, were adults and we shouldn't need babysitters, right? On the other hand, you aren't their Mom and it isn't your job to inflict punishment on them..I still think it's funny though! Yeah, I'm not much help..sorry.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 3:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would of put them in a garbage bag and thrown it on the floor or a table. Then left a note saying I needed to do my laundry so I took your clothes out.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2010