learning a new language...

So my in-laws are portuguese but mostly my grandmother-in-law speaks it the most. And shes always trying to speak to me in portuguese (well my husband too, but his parents didnt teach him to speak it when he was young) and she forgets that we do not speak it. So im thinking of trying to learn it. Have any of you, as adults, learned a foreign language? How did you do it? and was it hard?

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 3:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its easier to learn a language at a small age, but you are NOT too 'old' to learn one now. I want to do German.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 3:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• im taking a spanish class and its so much harder then when you were little since i took it then too
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You can get audio from the library, online language sites, buy Language CD's/DVD's or buy that Rosetta Stone.
    CandyHorse

• I started learning Spanish a couple years back. My husband and his family are Mexican so I started off using livemocha.com (free) and then my husband got me Rosetta stone. I learned most of my Spanish being surrounded by it while living in Mexico. I mean, I learned enough using language programs to get by while living here, but I've learned more in a month of living here than I did a half a year with language learning programs.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• not as an adult but good luck!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Children's books and songs. Yep, they're for kids, but they work on us, too!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've taken French before. I plan to learn others only because I would love to be able to explore other cultures and it's kind of sexy to know other languages and even more when you are able to speak them. I think if you really have a desire to learn, that in itself would help you learn and you would enjoy the process as well.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 2:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2010