Is anybody else's child is on Adderall for hyperactivity because my son who is 5 has been on it for more than a year and it wears off in less than 6 hours,the doctor says the dose he's on which is 5 milligrams is fine but I don't think so,please somebody tell me what to do?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 3:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to the doctor about taking him off of that and trying melatonin. It works the same way and it is not a percription drug.....You can get it over the counter. It will calm him down and also make him sleep better at night.
    Anonymous

• Here's a few better ? what are you doing to help him with his over active self besides medicating him? HOw much 1:1 does he get with you? and how much outside bike riding park playing sports stuff does he get everyday?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Under no circumstances would I have my child on Adderall. Adderall, like many other drugs in this classification, have not been tested on children. Sure, people think that's a good thing. What it really means is that we have no real idea what Adderall does to a developing brain, and we have no idea what the long term impacts of altering a child's brain chemistry in this manner will be.

What should you do? You should work with him to learn impulse control skills, on improving his focus, help him to learn skills like sitting quietly and following directions, making sure that he has not only an opportunity to be physically active every day but also a required period of time where he is focused on quieting his body every day.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• ummm i was on adderol for a while and there is no way i would give it to my child.....its a crazy drug....they actually compare it to heroin.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yep, in high school kids were crushing adderall & sniffing it & getting a similar effect to cocaine. It also has very addictive tendencies. I agree that with the proper attention & exercise...he shouldn't need it. A 5 year old should not be taking a drug like adderall. That stuff is just nasty.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would never medicate my child just because he's hyperactive. I'd just give him more exercise time, more time outside and more time to play. Have you ever done research on adderall? Its highly addictive and I agree with the other women its similar to Heroin.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Oh my God I heard something about Heroin but I had no idea and why would doctors prescribe junk like this for overactive kids but maybe Melantonin wouldhelp for his sleep at night because I don't want my son to grow up a drug addict,Thank you very much for the advice and I really don't think any of these docs care about the childrfen,it's all about money and it's sad that their cure is in medicine.
    mommys1luv

Comment by mommys1luv (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010