How many cats does it take to become "the crazy cat collecting lady?"

How many cats does a person have to live with before becoming the crazy cat lady on the block? You know the one they show on the evening news channels!

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 3:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I guess I would be considered a crazy cat lady. I had 10 cats at one point after finding a litter of 6 kittens under our lawn mower a few years ago. I foster a lot. I have had many litters come through my house because my neighborhood had become the dumping zone for cats. I only have 4 cats at the moment that are actually mine but I will not turn an animal in need away if I can help it. I do have my limits though and will not take on more then I can handle
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I personally think 3+ is starting to walk the line of crazy.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Personally I'd say anymore than 10, but maybe that's just me.
    ChristianJMommy

Answer by ChristianJMommy at 3:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• more than 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think 4 or more...
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 3:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• For me I would say 3 is plenty and more 6 would be a bit much, cats are pretty low maintenance themselves but require a lot of cleanup to keep the house sanitary...I clean the litter box and vaccuum daily for just one cat I couldnt imagine more than 3 since you would need at least a couple of litter boxes and the fur is everywhere.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• LOL that's a good question. I once had a neighbor who had 4 that came and went as they pleased - but then she had SEVEN more that she fed outside, that were basically stray cats that came to her house to eat...... in her defense, tho, she did get them ALL fixed --- so we never called her a crazy cat lady.
    I'd have to say that too many cats would be achieved by getting one more than you are capable of caring for, cleaning up after and taking care of medically. For me that would be 3 cats --- beyond 2 I don't think I could keep up with the litter box chores well enough to keep the house from smelling.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• As a retired vet assistant, my answer would be, as long as the person is financially able to provide all aspects of care, food shelter and health care, and considers the sanitary measures of having several cats in the home could produce a high level of ammonia if the boxes aren't clean. If they have a whole lot of energy, and a secondary plan of action provided they became unable to care for them, than I say enjoy your kitties!
    jdenny2u

Answer by jdenny2u at 8:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• id say more than 5
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think crazy cat lady is more of an attitude, then the number of cats a person has.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2010