How can i get my 24 month old to stay next to me when we're in a store?

My 2 year old daughter loves to run away...not knowing that its very dangerous and scary for me...i have tried holding her hand (she will twist and yank her hand away), I've tried holding her (& it's very hard bc I also have an 8 month old), i've tried the backpack/harness & we just get dirty looks...she will kick and screamwhen she does'nt get her way...I'll have ppl staring at me and it's also very frustrating to me...I JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT!!!! HELP:))))

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 3:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i may get bashed but whatever.... my dd pulled away from me ONCE in the store, i pulled her aside and whooped her butt...she now stays right beside me..it was to keep her safe, i don't want some weirdo to snatch up my kid and if my ds acts like that when he gets big enough to walk in the store, i'll whoop his butt too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Screw the people looking at you and put her in the backpack/harness. Her safety is your number one priority, who cares what others think!
    Or buy a double stroller, that is what we ended up doing, we are still using it and our boys are 4 and almost 3.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, at two, I don't think they are old enough to understand the consequences of "not" staying with you. I would highly recommend a cart or a stroller. It's just safer for the child and you, all the way around.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Through teaching. and not giving in. And if she refuses to listen, require her to ride in the cart.
    And as for the kicking and screaming when she doesn't get her way? That's a learned behavior. If you give in to it, it will continue.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I was going to suggest the harness/vest thing. It gives her some freedom and you a little "space". Who cares what people think. I was in a store once when a child was lost. Very scary. Make it clear to her beforehand that you will leave the store if she acts up and then follow through with it. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't take her with me until she learned to listen to me. Dad can watch her for a bit. If that's not an option then I'd put her in the cart and give her something to play with while shopping. If all else fails go back to the harness. It's no one else's business. It's about the safety of your child.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i would personally use the harness and just ignore the dirty looks. when safety is the reason it shouldnt matter what other people think. you could also try letting her "get lost" just stay arounda corner where you can see her but she cant see you so that she can get scared that she cant find her mommy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have my children hold on to the buggy and if they let go without good reason they were taken to the bathroom for a little talk. I don't know where you shop but the walmart here has those double buggys where you can put 2 children. It's a thought.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would insist on a stroller.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• my kids went in the cart at that age. If they wanted to throw a temper tantrum they got their butt spanked, if they continued we left and went home.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010