Little Helpers in the Thanksgiving Kitchen...what do you let them do?

From an early age, my kids wanted to "help". In the beginning, it actually added to the work - finding and supervising little chores they could do. In a few years, it payed off with real help.

Do you let your kids help with special meal prep? If so, what do they do?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 4:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anything they can do - break celery stalks apart, tear up bread for stuffing, dump ingredients (pre-measured) in things, stir. I'll leave things all out in one spot and ask them to bring me "5 of this" or "2 of that." They can count them out and bring them over.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 4:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My kids like to peel potatoes. It takes them forever, but that's OK. They only do one each by the time I'm finished.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Anything he wants to. He's four so we find a way to include him in cooking every day and holiday meals.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Peel potatoes, mash potatoes, fluff the dressing, mix and stir those things that are not on the cooktop if they are very young. Mix and stir those things that are on the cooktop once they are older.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My kids are the "gophers" she gets the milk or the butter or a fork or a butterknife I will measure out the milk or water and she gets to pour it into the pan and they get to help set the table
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 4:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010