How do I get him to use a sippy cup?

My son is almost 8 months old and absolutely hates a sippy cup. He won't even try to drink out of it, he just wants to chew on the spout....any pointers as to how I can get that to change because I refuse to have him on a bottle until he's a year old.

thutch21

Asked by thutch21 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start putting some dilutes druit juice in the cup and never in his bottle.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It varies when a child gets the hang of the sippy cup. The little one I take care of was 11 months before he mastered it. His mom just kept giving it to him and he finally got it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That was so difficult! For some reason! The best thing that we found to do was put them in the high chair with the cup but take the stopper out...they have to learn they can suck and get something out of the cup...took us about a week or so
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Babies learn to use the cups at different ages. Some master it from the first time one is handed to them and others don't figure it out until almost a year. Try different styles and if a stopper can be removed thats a good place to start.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010