Do you think you must attend church to be religious?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 4:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't believe so at all. We each have our own ways of acting out/exercising our faith. Church is only one of them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Attending church for me has nothing to do with being religous which is law based. I attend because it is a relational thing between me and God and my brothers and sisters in Christ. That is living in Grace.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No, there are many of us who feel religious but do not go to church services.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• no i think each person can be religious in their own way.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No...
    I tell ppl that you don't need "4 walls" to believe, have or be in a certain religion...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• no. being 'religious' and being 'faithful' are two different things.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've heard a lot of people IRL say if a person deliberately avoids attending church and doesn't believe in organized religion, then that person is 'spiritual' but if a person does believe in organized religion and does attend church regularly then that person is 'religious.'

But I think it'd be silly to discount the person who is chronically ill and cannot attend church, but watches it on TV regularly, and is maybe brought communion on Sundays - because that person fits more of the 'religious' definition, not the 'spiritual' definition.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't think you need to. But, for me, I feel it helps.

Partly, I was ignorant and now I know a lot more about the corpus I subscribe to as a Christian. Also, if I were alone, even if I were reading the Bible, I'd be using my own interpretations and get stuck in spiritual "ruts". With others around, often someone will say something that gives me a totally new perspective. I learn so much more from others than even the many books I read.

Another thing, is that the people in my church will hold me to account- not force me into anything, but if I wrote "hey, going off to have an affair" on facebook or if I were gone for weeks, someone will get in touch. Also, we may not meet often but it's nice to hang out and share happy thanksgivings or pray for their problems. The community aspect is surprisingly comforting.

So, I feel you can be religious alone, but I was missing out on a lot when I tried.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Of course not, many religions don't even have churches.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010