Did you attend church regularly as a child? If so, what effect has this had on you as an adult?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 4:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, just about every Sunday and most Wednesday nights until around age 12 or 13. I started questioning a lot of things. Generally, I don't like going to church now, but I'm considering finding a UU church in our area because they are accepting of all faiths.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes! A lot...I even went to Christian boarding school through high school. And since the day I got out of christian boarding school I have never set foot back in a church.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• yes, we had no choice. if mom/dad went, we went. as an adult, i attend fairly regularly. although, the church we attend does not have sunday night/wednesday services, as the churches we went to when i was a child/kid/teen. i still like going to church..it helps to keep things in perspective, being with a body of believers, worshiping together. plus, there are things other than the actual service that members/attendees are involved in, stemming from the church. if you don't go, you miss out on a lot of things!! and a lot of people miss you, too. being a part of a congregation (no matter how big or small) is like being a part of a family.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ugh, YES. Every Sunday to the Catholic Church we went. If we moved, or fidgeted we got spanked with the belt when we got back home. To this day, I get ill every time I want into a Catholic Church.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I came to know and love God and continued my faith as an adult.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 4:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Just about every Sunday we did... Unless I was sick or in the hospital (very ill as a child)...
    And today I am a Happy Pagan .... The Christian Church just wasn't a fit for me and my thinking...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I did and I go to church most Sundays now. I believe in going to a church that has a children's service so that my daughter is learning about God in ways that are age appropriate. My daughter loves going to Sunday school just like we did as kids. Now my husband went to a Lutheran church and had to sit through the adult service every Sunday and he does not feel any push to go to church now.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wen tto church regurally until my confirmation (8th grade) then everyone got busy. I was away from the faith for years after that. But about 5 years ago my husband and I started attending a non denomination church, and feel renewed in my faith. It feels more personal to me now, where before it was something that I was told to do, it is now something i want to do.

My kids (3 and 5) go with us, they have Sunday School and seem to enjoy it. I send my son to a Lutheran Preschool, unfortuantly will not be able to send him for the rest of the years (could not afford w/2 kids)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My parents took me to church every Sunday as a child. I accepted Christ at the age of 7 and still attend church as regularly as possible with my husband.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 5:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Mostly. We went to Mass every Sunday, and Christmas even if it was on a weekday, but we didn't go to any other Holy Day of Obligation that fell on a weekday, like All Saints Day. My dad would start thumb wars w/ me, then my mom would get mad, then my dad would thump me. As a driving teen I started going to a different Mass, by myself, and that's probably one reason I avoid my parents as an adult.

Something that I think had a huge impact on me is CCD (religious education) was on Wednesday night, which was the same night as Reconciliation during Advent and Lent. So I was made to go to reconciliation twice a year, my entire childhood, and still continue, bringing DH & kids. I found out recently my parents hadn't been to Reconciliation for the last 35 years! If it had been up to them, I wouldn't have picked up the sacrament as a habit.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010