Why is my almost 4 month old waking up in the middle of the night?

He was only getting up once to eat, now he gets up twice and doesn't want to go back to sleep. Also, it seems like I have less milk the past couple of days because my breasts are a lot softer like they usually are after I nurse.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The older your baby gets the more he is going to want to eat. He's growing rapidly as well as his appetite. Trust me this wont be the last time his schedule changes ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Growth spurt maybe.. or someimes babies just need more. It will probably help your milk supply.. and it is pretty normal for your breast to lose a little mass now.. you are still making milk. Maybe you can try getting one more feeding in a day, just to help boost it again, or even pump once or twice? 4 months of age is still pretty typical as far as waking 2 times a night for feeding. If you are concerned that you arent making enough, have her weight checked out..
    good luck.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 4:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• He is going through a growth spurt, so he is eating more. It is normal! My kids, both EBF, woke up at LEAST once a night until they weaned, one at 14mos the other at 15mos. It is completely normal!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Please don't tell this girl this is normal behavior or she will give you a down vote ..why even ask a question then?
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This sounds totally normal! Babies needs change and their needs during the night can increase as they get older. It is also normal for your breasts to feel softer as baby gets older. How your breasts feel is no indication of how much milk you have! Remember, the more you nurse, the more milk you will make.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Why were the first two posters voted down when they were telling the god honest truth? I don't have kids and even I know that as a baby grows their schedule changes throughout the night. Shoot, my friend's 15 month old still occasionally wakes up once or twice during the night and she isn't hungry or anything just wakes up.
    And as for not feeling like you have enough milk try to get more feedings during the day in or pump more to encourage your body to supply more milk.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• He's most likely hungry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A couple of things - the way your breast looks/feels is almost no indication of how much milk you are producing. As long as he nurses when he needs to, you body will most likely produce what he needs.

He may be going through a growth spurt and need the extra feeding right now. Not to discourage you, but this is perfectly normal and will most likely occur again, several times over the next few years. All my children have had different periods of waking at night. It wasn't until they were about two or three years old that they slept continually through the night. My baby (almost one year) slept for 8 hours at night when he was 2 weeks old!!! Unfortunately for me, the last few months he has been up several times during the night to nurse. I guess since he did so well early on, I get to 'catch up' on the sleeplessness now. :D You baby will sleep all night again eventually, though will also start waking again, too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Probably a growth spurt... your might be softer because he's eating MORE, emptying your breasts
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010